Shifter and cable routing, quick tech question

Old Ned":jn02an2o said:
Tel":jn02an2o said:
Well to put the cat among the pigeons I generally run the left to the front brake as the curve of the brake cable is smoother, it's a straight run and makes the most sense to me....

Me too. All my continental pro heroes did it this way and therefore I did as well.

My winter bike (a CX frame) has the top tube cable routing exactly as stated. It has canti brakes though as befits a CX machine. I wonder why yours has this arrangement and is fitted with side pulls? The left route is the rear brake, centre is rear mech and right is front mech. I just let the cabling from the levers take their most natural course.
Actually - I'm wrong! Centre route is front mech and right hand route is rear mech. Here's a photo to show it and how the handlebar cabling is arranged.

EDIT - see post below!

Attachments

• Pinnacle Winter2011.2.A.jpg
    Pinnacle Winter2011.2.A.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 222
Tel......that's for Weinmann brakes :D

BITD Campag / shimano pull the other side, so right was for front brake.

Unless it was my TT bike where left was the front for the drilled out Weinmann 500 :)

Shaun

Yes if the brake pull arm is on the other side then I will change the lever side, it's all about cable flow for me, the most natural flowing route determining how I route the cables.

To the OP just re-read your post and I would have the right lever for the rear brake crossing in front of the bars straight along the tt to the pull arm on the brakes. As I said above the most natural lay of the cable is how I try to set them up so try to avoid any tight curves. If that makes sense...

Old Ned":2z3b1p2a said:
Old Ned":2z3b1p2a said:
Tel":2z3b1p2a said:
Well to put the cat among the pigeons I generally run the left to the front brake as the curve of the brake cable is smoother, it's a straight run and makes the most sense to me....

Me too. All my continental pro heroes did it this way and therefore I did as well.

My winter bike (a CX frame) has the top tube cable routing exactly as stated. It has canti brakes though as befits a CX machine. I wonder why yours has this arrangement and is fitted with side pulls? The left route is the rear brake, centre is rear mech and right is front mech. I just let the cabling from the levers take their most natural course.
Actually - I'm wrong! Centre route is front mech and right hand route is rear mech. Here's a photo to show it and how the handlebar cabling is arranged.

Cor, I've got it wrong again!!! I ride this bike 3-4 times a week and still couldn't remember the cable routing!! Left is front mech (down to a pulley above the BB which reverses the direction of pull), middle is rear brake, right is rear mech.

That's definite.

It really is :oops: :roll:

Back