shared access question

We share access with our next door neighbours via the back garden. We've been here for three years now, and I can honestly say that has never even entered my head as a problem. Although we are perhaps fortunate in the fact that we get on really well with them, and the garden is large enough that we don't really notice them.

You mentioned that you looked into moving the right of way. If you really want to avoid the issue (and I can understand if you would), then can you not write the movement of the right of way as part of the terms of sale? In other words, get the seller to pay for it.

I've owned houses with it before. Typically you get it for rear access to gardens / back doors in a terrace. I wouldn't worry at all. Usually it is foot access only. Clearly if you have nightmare neighbours it can be a problem, but that would be the case anyway!

If it bothers you, you can fit gates each side of the path.

I live in a terraced house, next to the passage and my neighbour has access to her property by passing through my property, next to the kitchen. Like Hamster says, this is common practice. I have had no problem whatsoever with the arrangement. The only restriction I have is that i could not extend or put on the conservatory onto my kitchen.

When i first moved in, i was concerned too, but a marriage breakup etc meant that it was all I could afford. It was the best move ever. All 4 houses in our small block of terraces have no gates, we speak openly, bring each other's washing in if it rains, accept parcels for each other, lend out/borrow gardening tools etc. I have never lived in such a friendly neighbourhood.

compmare this to where I lived previously - detached houses, middle class neigbourhood, everything squared and clear cut and the only dialogue with neighbours was complaints about trees overhanging, visitors parking etc. i would not want to move back there.

pigman":ocrexd7j said:
I live in a terraced house, next to the passage and my neighbour has access to her property by passing through my property, next to the kitchen. Like Hamster says, this is common practice. I have had no problem whatsoever with the arrangement. The only restriction I have is that i could not extend or put on the conservatory onto my kitchen.

When i first moved in, i was concerned too, but a marriage breakup etc meant that it was all I could afford. It was the best move ever. All 4 houses in our small block of terraces have no gates, we speak openly, bring each other's washing in if it rains, accept parcels for each other, lend out/borrow gardening tools etc. I have never lived in such a friendly neighbourhood.

compmare this to where I lived previously - detached houses, middle class neigbourhood, everything squared and clear cut and the only dialogue with neighbours was complaints about trees overhanging, visitors parking etc. i would not want to move back there.
Oddly enough, my experience is roughly the opposite - although it wasn't always like that. I did used to live in a short run of terraced houses, in a street with mixed types of properties (some semis, the odd detached, as well as some terraced). For some years it was mostly quite pleasant and people got along in a quite friendly fashion. Then over time, things started getting more unfriendly and clique-ish, as people got more and more cars, and competed for road space and parking. It then became quite an unpleasant.

Some years back, I moved to what would probably be perceived as a middle-class neighbourhood, but nearly all of the neighbours are friendly, chatty, and pleasant. Some keep themselves to themselves, and some are more outgoing. The only occasional unpopular residents tend to be the odd time somebody moves into one of the houses that's rented, and occasionally can be a bit unreasonable.

I guess the thing is, it's not necessarily the type of houses or the area, it's the people. But the only thing is, the people can change - either in real terms, because people move, or attitudes or behaviour change because of circumstances or other events. And that's the reason why I personally wouldn't move to a house with a shared drive, or part of my property had to be used for access by a neighbour - not because I'm some sort of misanthrope (although I am), and not because it necessarily would be unworkable - but because the situation rarely stays the same forever. Change in circumstances, or change in people can suddenly make what was a quite amicable, civilsed situation, turn into a nightmare.

We lived in a house where we owned the road and had 4 parking spaces for our house (the other 2 houses had 2 car driveways), the neighbours had access to their properties via our road and we had to give them this. The guy across from us used to park his car in one of our spaces and when it broke down just left it there. They thought they had a right to park there, which was not the case. We decided to move so kept quiet and didn't kick off so we didn't have to raise it as a neighbourly dispute, easier that way.
I would avoid shared access now if possible, like said before some people will just take the piss.

Carl.

My sis had a terraced property some years ago which had access, not just for the neighbours, but for anyone and everyone. Her garden was a public footpath :facepalm: fortunately for her, probably because it didn't have a sign other than on a map, not many people thought, what a nice garden to let my dog run about and drop his little packages, but I don't think it was its best selling point when she put it on the market.

Alison

I think if you get a terraced, then in 90% of cases, its inevitable that there will be some pedestrian access rights. If you feel this is unnacceptable, then you may have to set your sights onto a semi or something that allows side access just for your one house.

As for shared driverways etc, then for me this would be a no-no. Like Carlos, all sorts out there take the pith, or try work it so that occassional use for them becomes the norm and its something you have to live with or be seen as being confrontational.
Then you get the "nice" guy who inconveniences you with his parking, but has let you know in advance and invites you to ask him to move if you need to get your car out. You feel awkward asking and when you do, he's having his tea and will be with you in a bit.
And there's the blatant nasty guy, who makes things awkward for you, so you've paid for a drive, but end up parking on the street, cos its the only sensible way.

If you want to buy it and the access can be relocated, tell the vendor you will only buy it if they sort it out first.

Our neighbours have rights to cross our land as much as anyone else. Right to roam and all that.

Right now we are seeking our new home/business venture and anything with shared access is generally discarded. If we had a pressing reason to accommodate such we would, and attempt to amend the situation long term.

We have been, in the past, responsible for the upkeep of a long track that others totally abused, yet never had to contribute to.

Back