Serviced FOX RP23 vs new Rockshox Monarch RL

Mikey08

Kona Fan
I have a FOX RP23 (Propedal, comp and rebound adjust) that needs a full rebuild costing about £100. However Ive seen a good deal on a brand new modern Rockshox Monarch RL shock. Is it worth spending a bit extra on the newer rear shock or is the RP23 worth dropping money on for a full TF rebuild?

What do you mean by a full rebuild? Do you mean a full service or is the shock broken/worn out?

If it’s just a full service, I’d say keep the Fox. If it’s been neglected and never even had a basic air can service over the years, you could have hidden damage to the internals. Costs can them add up. TF would usually advise upon strip down before starting any service work.

Monarch RL is a pretty basic shock in comparison and remember that the stock tune may not match your bike. You could be lucky and it’s ideal or it could be awful and need a shim tune, which will add to cost. Especially with no compression adjustment. May also need different mounting bolts which need to be factored into price.

Environmentally, it’s also a lot better to repair an older product.

Thanks for the reply.

The RP23 is an older one circa 2012. It holds air but has a floppy lockout lever which indicates a full rebuild is needed as opposed to just a air can service. I believe TF want £100 ish for s full re-build and presume that includes the damper and nitrogen re-charge.

The bike is nothing special. Just a old 2005 Trek Fuel 110, 80mm travel XC bike. It came with a very basic RockShox shock that was dead, no idea if it has a special tune.

Regarding the RS Monarch, is the RT3 a better option? I believe the RL and RT3 both have the Debonair chamber but he RT3 maybe has a better damper and/or adjustability? (I can get either for about £150-£175 plus shipping)

Can anyone tell me if the the difference between the Monarch RL and RT3?

RL has simple on/off lockout, while the RT3 also has an intermediate pedal setting which firms things up a bit without being fully locked out. Not sure you’d need that much on an 80mm travel bike.

I got the RL. Whatever you do, don't get the RT, it's not a full lockout. Don't ask me how I know.🤕

The Monarch doesn't have compression damping adjustment.
RT3 is 3 position switch, RL is just on/off.
I think the RT3 also has a larger piston shaft diameter doesn't it?

This looks like the debonair model. This one isn't. You can upgrade the air can later, but it will cost more that way I expect.
Mega adjustable spring curves when you get debonair. Super supple initial stroke. I was pretty blown away by it.
What I like about it is that you can set it more linear or more progressive to suit your riding style, easy to get full travel.

I haven't owned many shocks over the years, mainly because I started out in the 90s and we didn't fork out loads of money on suspension back then, it wasn't the norm. But I will say that I'm impressed with this debonair thing.😯Like so impressed the very next thing I did was get a Reba RL fork to match the front end.

Do you use the pro-pedal feature? Would you miss it?
Do you like to fuss with compression damping?

Last edited:
Thanks Synchro 👍

Do you use the pro-pedal feature? Would you miss it?
Do you like to fuss with compression damping?

Ive not used the RP23. Picked it up cheap from a mates spares bin but found it had the dreaded 'floppy' lockout lever so needed a full re-build. Regarding the comp damping, if the RL or RT3 are good enough out of the box im ok with that. Its only a 80mm XC bike after all.

Latest posts

Back