Sending downtube shifters to hades

Bats":1ekg3n65 said:
Yep I know first version of 105 was 6 speed, because it's on my bike?

Not sure why you tell me that.

Because you asked if "I'd prefer index shifting to be honest, but are there six-cog indexed downtube shifters out there?" so I assumed you were using friction mode and you didn't mention they were 105 STI's?

Sorry for any confusion, just trying to help.

FINNEY1973":1pgnynku said:
Bats":1pgnynku said:

Because you asked if "I'd prefer index shifting to be honest, but are there six-cog indexed downtube shifters out there?" so I assumed you were using friction mode and you didn't mention they were 105 STI's?

Sorry for the little thread hijacking :oops:

BUT

Am i right in thinking that you can get indexed shimano indexed downtube shifters for my 6 speed 1985 Raleigh ?

FINNEY1973":b4x65dy9 said:
so I assumed you were using friction mode and you didn't mention they were 105 STI's?

The rear mech is 105 golden arrow. The shifters are black plastic thingies, friction, probably.

I say probably because they don't work very well. Although nothing I've ever read says this rear mech can do indexing. Certainly not in the Raleigh product catalogue.

I've no idea why you mention STIs, either. Those are brifters, and if I had those I wouldn't be asking about getting rid of downtube shifters. Very first post I said I don't want STIs!

widowmaker":3rdsex6a said:
FINNEY1973":3rdsex6a said:
Bats":3rdsex6a said:

Sorry for the little thread hijacking :oops:

BUT

Am i right in thinking that you can get indexed shimano indexed downtube shifters for my 6 speed 1985 Raleigh ?

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=214

tied with http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=111

Shimano's first STI offering (I think). Only query would be the freewheel or cassette you have - some non-indexable freewheels simply dont work, pretty sure plenty do though but my knowledge runs dry on what works with what. I assume rightly or wrongly that there was a compatible freewheel that worked with the above?

Bats":18tnjuee said:
FINNEY1973":18tnjuee said:
so I assumed you were using friction mode and you didn't mention they were 105 STI's?

The rear mech is 105 golden arrow. The shifters are black plastic thingies, friction, probably.

I say probably because they don't work very well. Although nothing I've ever read says this rear mech can do indexing. Certainly not in the Raleigh product catalogue.

I've no idea why you mention STIs, either. Those are brifters, and if I had those I wouldn't be asking about getting rid of downtube shifters. Very first post I said I don't want STIs!

STI's are not just brifters!! DT shifters are in many cases STI and not just friction shifters (many do both so the rider can choose which mode to run with) - this led to the development of brifters much later. Shimano / Campag ran DT shifter groups for many years. I am not talking about STI brifters.

Dead Rats":1gvzg6by said:
Confusion here, all STIs are combined brake and gear levers whether road or MTB.

If you are referring to DT levers that index the gear changes, they are called err downtube index shifters. By STI you meant SIS?

STI = Shimano Total Integration, eg brake and gear lever into one unit, like a combined VCR & telly :LOL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano_Total_Integration

100% - apologies - shimano is indeed SIS, my mistake in using STI - what I was simply trying to get to was that you can index via DT levers if used with an indexable derailleur etc. Confusion does indeed reign, principally by me not explaining myself with enough clarity :facepalm:

Good evening,

The confusion seems to be between Downtube Shifters - which can be indexed (presumably STis) OR Friction Only and brifters (brake and gear levers on the bars).

I have Ultegra 7sp DT shiters which operate in both Friction and Indexed mode - they are great. It might be possble to use these for 6sp as well - providing the spacing of the cassette is similar.

Greater minds than mine will be able to advise if this is another option.

Richard

Now on top of everything else I'm wondering what you reconed it stood for...

Alright, more seriously. I don't think I'd mind downtubes if they were indexed, but these 6-cogged raleighs are Helicomatic, so no chance of finding an index compatible set of cogs.

I'm not monied enough to buy new wheels, just yet. So back to bar end shifters...

TGR":2dcedgnt said:
Good evening,

The confusion seems to be between Downtube Shifters - which can be indexed (presumably STis) OR Friction Only and brifters (brake and gear levers on the bars).

I have Ultegra 7sp DT shiters which operate in both Friction and Indexed mode - they are great. It might be possble to use these for 6sp as well - providing the spacing of the cassette is similar.

Greater minds than mine will be able to advise if this is another option.

Richard

DT shifters that are indexed are often described as SIS not STI

STI are brifters, STI is not relevant to any type of DT shifters

Friction DT or bar-end shifters will shift any amount of gears, the more cogs the trickier it gets to get right in gear :D

Back