Seatpost shims - possibly a daft question

But I've had the vernier out, measured the internal seat tube diameter and the external diameter of the shim and I'm happy that it should be 29.8, as in the '97 catalogue.

So I ordered a nice new Thomson seatpost in my confirmed diameter of 29.8mm......and it doesn't fit!!!! In my defense I think it's quite hard to get an accurate reading using the internal calipers of a vernier on a tube when the difference is .2 of a mm and the shim has slots cut in it, so is compressible. The only other conclusion is that I'm just useless, but let's not go there.

So, what I can now say is that on MY '98 version of the Orange P7, manufacture date November 1997, the catalogue is correct, the seatpost size is 29.6mm. But I wouldn't like to make any definitive statements about your P7's. I suppose if you have any doubts you could always measure it (properly, not slapdash like me) :roll: .

Bloody retrobikes!

My 94/5 C16R takes a 29.8 so you shouldn't have any trouble selling on your post, particularly given allthese ddifficulties

Back