Screw on hubs - same for campagnolo and shimano?

mattr":14jm9giv said:
Actually, looking closer, is that spacer removeable, or is it threaded onto the axle, cos it looks to me like the lock nut (its slightly tapered).

In which case, the wheel hasn't been fudged and any 126 OLN should fit, either with the freewheel you have on there (which is 28mm wide?) or the 6 speed.

I think there is a locknut there as well. So does that mean its threaded onto the axle, as the other hubs for sale don't seem to have the space for the spacer.

See this thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=278909

where the hubs don't seem to have enough space.

So if I get another say, dura ace 126mm hub, fit on a 6 speed sprocket set, will I need to get some spacers or should it be plug and play?

And if I do get spacers where do they fit?

Am I also correct that there is no way a 130oln hub is going to fit as there is not any axle left for spacers?

You think? Or you know?
Threaded spacers? Nah, not likely. Also not likely to be left loose on the end of the axle. Have you measured the OLN dimension of this actual hub? Is it 126, or 131. Cos moving 5mm of spacer from one end to the other of a hub is a fairly major undertaking and would lead to loads of issues.
I'd also check the distance from the back of the cassette to the end of the lock nut, and get someone else with a 126 OLN hub to do the same. If its within a mm or two, you should be good to go.

And FWIW, top sprockets catching on the chainstays even happens on modern set ups sometimes, i can't run a 13 up cassette on a couple of my bikes as the 13 sprocket catches the chainstay. Can't run one on my wifes best bike either (fairly modern carbon fibre frame) needs an 11 or 12 sprocket to clear.

I think what you have there is a 126mm OLN axled hub, which should take a 6-speed block, except that yours has a 5-speed block. Nothing wrong with that- It may have been done to accommodate one of these: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... ;AbsPos=41

I take it that these are sprints that came with your Ciocc, and that you need a pair of wheels with similar hub geometry, but with clincher rims?

I agree that any 126mm OLN hub should fit. If you can take a picture from above the block, with the rear wheel mounted in the frame, so we can see the existing clearance between block and frame, that might clarify..

So if I get another say, dura ace 126mm hub, fit on a 6 speed sprocket set, will I need to get some spacers or should it be plug and play?
Yes- should be plug and play. No guarantees with secondhand hubs/wheels though, that may have been re-spaced/dished to suit a certain gear set-up.

And if I do get spacers where do they fit?
In between the bearing cones and the locknuts. In the pic. in the thread you linked to, top right, you can see the cone, with it's spanner-flats just showing beyond the hub body. Then there's usually a thin, tabbed washer. After that, the alloy spacers slide onto the axle, and are locked in place by the locknut.

BTW Pigman's "hold on there" in response to my earlier post is valid. I re-dish wheels and fine-tune axle-spacers habitually.

That looks like a 6 speed block where the smallest 2 cogs are screwed on but the smaller one is missing with 5 cogsleft........looks like a standard 126mm OLN hub to me.

Shaun

thanks for all your help.

I have attached a pic with a 9 speed block on the bike. The long thing is a screwdriver.

I have no issues running as modern hub as I have heard that 126 axles are more fragile.

My option, as I have a set of 130oln wheels, is to go to 9 speed, fit a more modern rear mech and downtube shifters. Roughly the same cost as getting a new wheelset in 126, the advantage being I can swap with my carbon bike.

The only downside of going the modern route, is that I lose some of joy of the older bits (well the main bit is the simplex shifters).

However, the bike will be used mainly for commuting and winter (dry day runs only).

What is the forum's advise on the best way forward?

I dont mind having only 8 of the 9 speeds as this bike is running a double and I am more used to a compact so overall everything should even out.

thanks again.

Attachments

• c rear sprocket 9 spd.JPG
    c rear sprocket 9 spd.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 98
my advice would be to get a 7 speed shimano cassette and hub (and I do mean cassette not freewheel). and run it on a 8 speed sram chain.you then have 80's technology with gears that are still obtainable. This should also work with your existing gears and levers.

the trouble with some older frames is that the stay ends around the dropout are domed and therefore thicker meaning the bottom sprocket has to be some distance away from the dropout.

Back