Scott Super Brake Calipers

Black_Hills_Biker

Retro Newbie
Hello from South Dakota, USA,
Can anyone share any tips, tricks, and things to be mindful of when installing & setting up? They were on the market around 1988 and I have not been able to find much in the way of installation guidance since I picked up a never-used set of them. A picture is attached and that may spark some memories out there (not my brakes or frame, stole the image off bikeforums.net) According to a Bicycling Magazine review of them (that someone posted on bikeforums.net) they should be decent brakes. The oddest thing about them is that the reach is adjustable via a sliding mounting bolt. This is one of the steps that trouble me since the pads have no vertical adjustment to speak of and I worry about getting the height just right. I plan on using them on a 1986 Schwinn Peloton frame that I am slowly building up (i.e. in fits & starts whilst I scrape up a few dollars for my bike building fund).
Many thanks for your input,
John

Attachments

• scott super brake.PNG
    scott super brake.PNG
    95.2 KB · Views: 29
Hello. I have never seen these before and it looks interesting.
I wonder if they were designed for a specific frame/manufacturer so they could be the exact drop they required?
Having said that are the pad carriers held in by a bolt below them? If so I wonder if different depth carriers were offered or if they used shims or washers to move them up and down as required?
Rich

Those are effin' cool, IMO. No experience with them but the sliding bolts offer plenty of adjustment, 40-54 mm, according to the info on BF. What is it that you're worried about?

BTW, did you get the matching levers, or at least a pair of Modolo's?

Those are effin' cool, IMO. No experience with them but the sliding bolts offer plenty of adjustment, 40-54 mm, according to the info on BF. What is it that you're worried about?

BTW, did you get the matching levers, or at least a pair of Modolo's?
Hi, No on the Modolos; I am building the frame with modern components (SRAM derailleurs & brifters). Questions I have are: One, should I use the noodle for the front brake or screw the adjustor directly into arm pivot? I have seen photos of both and would like to know how Scott said to set them up. Two, the brakes have no quick release; was the idea to have them set wide enough to allow the tires to fit through without one? Three, I can never get the pads to fall directly onto the rim's brake track; was there some suggested method for getting them spot-on as far as the reach goes?
Thank you for any blanks that you can fill in!
John

Hi, No on the Modolos; I am building the frame with modern components (SRAM derailleurs & brifters). Questions I have are: One, should I use the noodle for the front brake or screw the adjustor directly into arm pivot? I have seen photos of both and would like to know how Scott said to set them up. Two, the brakes have no quick release; was the idea to have them set wide enough to allow the tires to fit through without one? Three, I can never get the pads to fall directly onto the rim's brake track; was there some suggested method for getting them spot-on as far as the reach goes?
Thank you for any blanks that you can fill in!
John

Ah! Actually, I think these brakes would combine very nicely with modern components. I like a well-designed frankenbike. :)

The only one of your questions I have seen answered is about the lack of a QR in the system. Apparently there was so little flex in the system Scott designed that there was no need to have the shoes very close to the rim. Of course that was before the advent of "gravel width" tyres ... ;)

Back