Scott CybeR1

Grumpy old man alert

I'm sorry, but I thought I was logged in to RETRO-bike but I seem to have slipped through a worm-hole in the Internet continuum into the time trial forum or weight weenies. I come here in order to not feel as though I'm in the world of "spend for speed" but "spend for love of the bike" (or "spend as little as possible").
Apologies of the season.

I was awaiting such a comment. If I'm not mistaken, no one forces you to read this topic.

I love my bikes and perform custom builds, both to have them just the way I like and to spend as little as possible.

You can't win championships on an old steel bike. Even aluminium vs carbon is a huge difference.

I have a couple of retro builds as well and I'm sure there are other people who are both into retro and new stuff.

Anyhow, this topic is not about the bike alone, but also about rides, scenery, training etc - which I think is generally inspirational.

Happy new year.

I for one appreciate your achievements and the meticulous build. Congratulations. Not my style or interest but nice to see the other end of the telescope.

Happy new year to you too. Have you shared your retro bikes on here?

Not entirely retro, but again a custom built bike, including hand-made custom built frame:

Kovjanic Custom

Proper retro to begin with, but updated in "hot rod style" (not to everyone's taste):

Mountain Cycle MOHO

Hope this helps :).

Re: Grumpy old man alert

glpinxit":2zc92tr9 said:
I'm sorry, but I thought I was logged in to RETRO-bike but I seem to have slipped through a worm-hole in the Internet continuum into the time trial forum or weight weenies. I come here in order to not feel as though I'm in the world of "spend for speed" but "spend for love of the bike" (or "spend as little as possible").
Apologies of the season.

wow, quite surprised at that.

in other news, huge congratulations on what was clearly a hard fought personal battle to regain what you had lost. well done indeed

I like all builds and this one is particularly good to read, as my other bike is a scott like yours.

How are you finding the finish, is the matt wearing well?

I have a 56 as well but given my lack of flexibility am wondering if a 58 was a better bet.

And a big congratulations on the weight loss, I would love to lose as much.

Yeah, it's fine. It got slightly less matt in a couple of places I've had it strapped with rubber loops. Other than that, white parts are harder to clean.

If you don't ride with a large saddle-handlebar drop, then get a XL/58 with the longer head tube and shorter stem.

cybernck":23qms4o6 said:
Yeah, it's fine. It got slightly less matt in a couple of places I've had it strapped with rubber loops. Other than that, white parts are harder to clean.

If you don't ride with a large saddle-handlebar drop, then get a XL/58 with the longer head tube and shorter stem.

Thanks

Just a quick update this time round :).

As I've rarely been using my Spinergy Rev-X wheels (mostly only the front wheel for Time Trial Championship),
I had decided it was time to let them go and sold them back to the UK. I took them for the last spin on my
road bike and took this photo - which must be a rare photo of Scott CR1 with these wheels on :).

cyber1_081.thumb.jpg
cyber1_082.thumb.jpg

Continuing with the retro theme - I took a quick shot of the bike together with the infamous twin-Mi16-engined
Peugeot 205 - the 205 Mi32 (http://www.205Mi32.com).

Full-size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/cyber1?page=6

25/Jul/2013 - I took an opportunity for a trip to Sarajevo to make my old wish come true and it was
all about doing a hilly and twisty ride from Sarajevo to Tjentište in National Park Sutjeska and back.
Super-hot and humid day, but the experience was worth it.

cyber1_083.thumb.jpg
cyber1_084.thumb.jpg
cyber1_085.thumb.jpg

An important 2nd World War battle was won here (hence the monument in the background), as well as my
today's personal battle. I stumbled upon a memorial to the Slovakian cyclo-tourer who got run over
and killed near Sarajevo, a few years ago. And finally - back to the "base", after 196 km's of riding.

cyber1_086.thumb.jpg
cyber1_087.thumb.jpg
cyber1_088.thumb.jpg

26/Jul/2013 - The following day, I had made up a round-trip route that I named "Olympic Mountains ride",
starting at Pale (850 m), then down to Sarajevo (500 m) and then to Hum hill (800 m). After descending
back to Sarajevo, I made a short stop at the spring of River Bosna, along the way to the first of four
Olympic mountains lying ahead of me. The first one was Olympic Mountain Igman, elevation about 1200 m
(with the peak is at about 1500 m), that was a host for ski jump events of 1984 Winter Olympics.

cyber1_089.thumb.jpg
cyber1_090.thumb.jpg
cyber1_091.thumb.jpg

Then I proceeded to Olympic Mountain Bjelašnica, where male alpine skiing events were held. I was at
elevation of about 1300 m, with the peak in the background at over 2000 m. Back down to Sarajevo and
then up the Olympic Mountain Trebević and here you can see the only remains of bobsleigh track.

cyber1_092.thumb.jpg
cyber1_093.thumb.jpg
cyber1_094.thumb.jpg

On Trebević, at about 1200 m, overlooking the slopes of Jahorina. And finally - Olympic Mountain Jahorina,
host of female alpine skiing events, at nearly 1600 m (with the peak in the background at over 1900 m)
and then back down to Sarajevo - 170 km in total.

cyber1_095.thumb.jpg
cyber1_096.thumb.jpg

Full-size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/cyber1?page=6

Back