Schwinn Cruiser 1988 Wine Red

It rode nicely, didn't get to ride in the woods, but took it unto some gravel and a bit of tarmac, tomorrow, the woods! I am really impressed with this coaster brake, so much so that's I'm thinking to coaster brake some of my other mtbs..

Cranks felt solid. Gearing isn't too bad. Might pop on the 3 speed wheel I have laying about.

It's a heavy ride alright, the frame isn't light but it's surprisingly responsive. There's a nice flex to it. And downhill it's fecking fast!

Mickeys headset is doing the trick, feels great. We do believe that poor reaming makes it so that it never goes buttery smooth 360, but then again I don't spin my bars 360 while riding.. Reading on RRB, I've found that a lot of people say that modernising these old frames with ahead mods will always come at a cost, it's a real hassle, and the sizing in the headtubes can differ greatly between 2 bikes of the same model.

I discovered the existence of adapter headsets a while ago, but people reported that they just flop about in most frames. So if you don't want to ream your frame, then what Mickey did for me is the way to go.

Now I am going to do another cruiser frame in the future, I can feel it... would I go 1 1/8 again? Yes. But I'd make Mickeys job easier by just making him lathe down a beefy headset.

This has been a fun build.

Things to do:

Throw the plastic jobby pedals into the bin and light them on fire.

Replace with pw la la's brotherly contribution

Get a p2 fork on there

It rode nicely, didn't get to ride in the woods, but took it unto some gravel and a bit of tarmac, tomorrow, the woods! I am really impressed with this coaster brake, so much so that's I'm thinking to coaster brake some of my other mtbs..
I dunno what you guys rode as kids, but this kind of riding is the most "child-like" to me, if that makes sense. How I started in the dirt. And the power of a coaster is addictive, need more power? STOMP HARDER!!! Get ready to burn through back tires and make enemies with the local trail builders.

Cranks felt solid. Gearing isn't too bad. Might pop on the 3 speed wheel I have laying about.

It's a heavy ride alright, the frame isn't light but it's surprisingly responsive. There's a nice flex to it. And downhill it's fecking fast!

Mickeys headset is doing the trick, feels great. We do believe that poor reaming makes it so that it never goes buttery smooth 360, but then again I don't spin my bars 360 while riding.. Reading on RRB, I've found that a lot of people say that modernising these old frames with ahead mods will always come at a cost, it's a real hassle, and the sizing in the headtubes can differ greatly between 2 bikes of the same model.

I discovered the existence of adapter headsets a while ago, but people reported that they just flop about in most frames. So if you don't want to ream your frame, then what Mickey did for me is the way to go.

Now I am going to do another cruiser frame in the future, I can feel it... would I go 1 1/8 again? Yes. But I'd make Mickeys job easier by just making him lathe down a beefy headset.

This has been a fun build.

Things to do:

Throw the plastic jobby pedals into the bin and light them on fire.

Replace with pw la la's brotherly contribution

Get a p2 fork on there

Just been bin diggin'...

tempImagesYq7ES.png

tempImageWyn7Di.png

Back