Schwinn Cruiser 1988 Wine Red

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Today we begin the process of building the klunker up.

The frame is a 1988 Schwinn cruiser, originally set up with 5 speed in the rear if I recall correctly.

The frame is made in Hungary so its safe to say that it'll go well with Goulash.

Here's how it looked upon arrival.

20220819_150740.jpg
Having spent a good while removing the cranks, which were nearly seized, but nothing that a rubber mallet and a pedal spanner couldn't fix, as my body dripped enough fluid to lubricate the threads to loosen the last mm's

20220826_160335.jpg

It was then time to get rid of the rack. The screw had stripped so I bent it enough to crack off and did a primal scream upon it finally snapping, repeatedly drumming my chest. It was nice.

20220826_161044.jpg

Then as I was snacking on the postie as I always do like a rabid dog, I encountered a battered box that he must have attempted to deliver. I was unhappy with the fact that it looked like they had been treating the box like Marinated Suzie in the dogging park. But the contents were very pg 13

20220826_131404.jpg

Inside it was a wheel which I've been told was a necessity for building a bike. *scoffs*

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees..... tis the good stuff

20220826_160348.jpg

Last edited:
Now I'll be rubbing down my greasy bottom....

Bracket

And then I'll start looking for a front wheel.

There's a little rattly rattle inside the frames which I suppose must be some old grime or rust specks floating about. It got me in the groove and I've been using the whole frame as an egg shaker.

More to come, come for more

Cleaned up the cranks a bit, replaced bearings, both in headset and cranks. Bought some seat guts which were incredibly finicky to install, took me over 2 hours because.

Chain is too slack but that will be sorted in the future.

Had to file down the front dropouts to accommodate the front wheel. Will probably replace fork with a P2 if I ever find one in 1"

Put on the cheapest tyres I could find. For now the goal is to make it rideable, then over the next couple of weeks and months I'll be replacing bits and making it into an episode of Pimp My Ride.

I'm thinking a black set of cranks with a gold chain ring, I'm thinking a front rack for stashing a 12 pack, I'm thinking a nice sturmey archer wheelset, I'm thinking thicker tyres.

With a p2 I could easily run 2.3 front and rear.

20220830_153516.jpg

Back