SANTA CRUZ chameleon 2001 ostensibly calm and amicable

Re:

This order took some time. Now the drop out insert is in place, just the other side around to cope with a short axle. Its presence is useful for easy rear wheel positioning, too.

Meanwhile the wtb seat was replaced with a 165 wide avocet air 40 M which is very comfortable.
Moreover, time had come for a variable seatpost.

The HiteRite works well. I tried the extra large one but the medium spring length is quite enough.

Re:

:)
Oldest part is the dura ace 5-speed-freewheel from the late 70s.
Although shifting is tough, the sl-mt60 thumb shifters...

...do their index shifting harshly but predictable. With a 5-speed freewheel you have the option to lace a symmetrical rear wheel. The bullseye rear hub can be spaced accordingly. The bullseye front hub was the winner in a “suspension-specific front hub test” in an early mtb magazine with its lock nuts and the thicker axle spacers that contact the fork legs.

The bullseye crank arms are 184mm long which is just great. I run these with up-to-date outboard bearings, though.

Not to mention the PD-M730 pedal that is a b i g platform pedal with adjustable cones.

All of these parts are durable, easy to maintain and reasonably lightweight.

Re:

Chameleons are great to work on. Many parts fit. And a black frame is great for colourful additions.
Tires for example.

Even more I am happy to have changed the forks to the Marzocchi bomber Z1 (1996). The marathon 2003s are a really good forks, and I keep them to be able to swap. Just in case I miss the eta and the 300g weight savings. But now that first of all Z1's is stiffer and feels more robust with her all aluminium body and steel shaft. It just adds confidence.

Of course, the "tangerine dream"- orange is intriguing.

Back