Safety clip on quick release

Shaggy1979

Gary Fisher Fan
Can anyone confirm that the clips are for a fail safe / safety and why they didn't come on the rear
Many thanks merry xmas

Attachments

• 20221224_220203.jpg
    20221224_220203.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221224_220134.jpg
    20221224_220134.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 23
Those were indeed clips to stop the front wheel falling out, mainly due to wheelies, they were discontinued when US authorities insisted tabs were fitted to the bottom of forks dropouts to stop the same thing, so called "Lawyer Tabs" they are fitted to all new forks. Generally the rear wheel is far less likely to come out if it does it normally binds and causes a skid that is why they are not fitted to the rear, loss of front wheel is generally far more likely to cause major injuries.

Those were indeed clips to stop the front wheel falling out, mainly due to wheelies, they were discontinued when US authorities insisted tabs were fitted to the bottom of forks dropouts to stop the same thing, so called "Lawyer Tabs" they are fitted to all new forks. Generally the rear wheel is far less likely to come out if it does it normally binds and causes a skid that is why they are not fitted to the rear, loss of front wheel is generally far more likely to cause major injuries.
Did not know that. I have to say I've never seen an EU bike fitted with this particular fail safe. Were some?

Did not know that. I have to say I've never seen an EU bike fitted with this particular fail safe. Were some?
I only know of Raleigh and a few other companies fitting them, couldn't say about EU countries, I know most people ditched them as the were a faff out on the trail.

Back