Rust

thats a great idea with the boot polish :D i used to live in brixham/paignton and the air was forever lifting the chrome plate from my alloy rims :evil:

perry":3p1nzhpn said:
thats a great idea with the boot polish :D i used to live in brixham/paignton and the air was forever lifting the chrome plate from my alloy rims :evil:

It is, old fart technology, I used to use proprietry stuff from Halfords for doing my car tyres before the MOT,(going on the idea that if a car looks good, it puts an MOT tester in a good frame of mind when he considers whether something which is borderline is a pass or fail), same with window surround rubbers, silicon compound. Until an old fart in a garage said forget the stuff you pay oodles for, use a quality black boot polish, it does the same thing and is recommended, as UV light actually causes the crazing of the tyre surface.

So, boot plish, vinegar and lemon juice I use so far in mechanical maintenance, am on the look out for others. Oh, and judging by the results of today's experiment, a caustic soda solution did a well satisfying job of stripping the black anodised colour dye from my Specialized Dirt Rodz.

1988_Ben":nv4xqzs4 said:
and if you just need to tidy up an old frame quickly, you don't have to go mad cleaning all the rust away, as Kurust reacts with all of it, turning it into a hard, black substance. So not a bad idea if you want to keep an old frame in the garage, but don't have time/money to restore it now.

Hit the nail on the head :D wonderful wealth of tips here guys :cool:

i can just about remember people doing it to car tyres but it never ocured to me to do bike tyres or that it would resist mud sticking

LPS3 spray on the inside, Clear nail polish on any paint chips, Vaseline ins good for tyres and grips, it stops the rubber drying out and cracking

Back