Rust Removal Advice needed...

Nob":3jm5pc88 said:
The History Man":3jm5pc88 said:
Have you tried the tinfoil method?

Tin foil & coke or white vinegar.....

Not heard of that one before, how do you do it? And what does it do?

I know a liberal application of Tomato Ketchup applied to the chrome parts of a classic car is a good chrome polish and protector but not heard of tin foil and white vinegar.

allenh":1waxlvci said:
I know a liberal application of Tomato Ketchup applied to the chrome parts of a classic car is a good chrome polish and protector but not heard of tin foil and white vinegar.

Tomato sauce?

R_E_A_L_L_Y ????????????

I never knew that!

Sand_Dune":1smwrsz6 said:
Tomato sauce?

R_E_A_L_L_Y ????????????

I never knew that!

It used to be a pretty standard thing to coat your chrome bumpers in ketchup when you laid your car up over the winter. I don't know if it still is and I expect whatever was good for this purpose in the ketchup is probably harmful so has been engineered out. I remember doing it with chromed bike rims as a kid when I left them in the shed for a long time as well.

Only recently converted to Evapo-rust. Very impressed, not too harsh & doesn’t burn the skin.
1. Strip down parts as much as possible,
2. Thoroughly clean & de-grease. very important.
3. Immerse pedals in a plastic Tupperware/take-away/ice cream tub. Seal the lid.
4. With awkward sticky-out bits (like the clips) these went in a larger container, but would need loads to cover, so I wrapped them closely in kitchen towel, soak this and made sure its in close contact all over. Then pop them in a container with some evapo-rust and let it just soak up through
5. 12hrs latter, can be less, can be more, remove and rinse.
6. Then I spray them up with WD40 to expel all moisture out of the pits and tiny rust holes, this is very important, miss this, blink, and there will be a fine layer of rust on them again.
7. Finally a polish up with MAAS, the best all round metal polish on the market.

Attachments

• B8B.jpeg
    B8B.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 378
  • BramptobB8.jpeg
    BramptobB8.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 378
Resurrecting an old thread with a related question: I'm currently looking at a steel frame, but the pictures show some rust spots around the seat tube. Rust isn't my area of expertise and I don't have any way of looking at in person; does this look like something that might become a big problem down the line, and is there anything that can be done about it?
32910662218-4e7855dc46-z.jpg

ThomasElliott":2tgqg3uk said:
Resurrecting an old thread with a related question: I'm currently looking at a steel frame, but the pictures show some rust spots around the seat tube. Rust isn't my area of expertise and I don't have any way of looking at in person; does this look like something that might become a big problem down the line, and is there anything that can be done about it?

If you don't want to strip and respray, but just want to stop the rust locally without breaking down the bike, get yourself a small pot of Rustins Rust stop from Halfords/B&Q at the weekend and hand paint some on... does exactly what it says on the tin. :cool:

That rust on that Surly should be fine Thomas. I wouldn't leave it too long but it has just had a couple of light grazes that would sand straight off and you could touch up. My Pugsley had a fair bit worse than that and as they are just powder coated it is cheap to get repainted.
Is that a Cross Check or a Trucker?

Jamie

Thanks for the advice. It's a Cross Check, I've always wanted one but every time I've been close the deal has fallen through for some reason. We'll see where this one ends up, I've asked for some closer pictures and can hopefully make a decision based on them.

Re:

I'm looking at a Saronni I might be able to get for dirt cheap. Frame is in good condition except for the fork crown rust. You think I could get this looking presentable?

s-l1600.jpg

Back