Rust on the frame - Raleigh Record Ace

retro-rich":139qvwa8 said:
passatman":139qvwa8 said:
I picked mine up at the weekend on the car boot, a year or two older than yours, and a little more pitting than that too. I've had a quick look at it with the T-cut and it's getting most of it off with elbow grease. I'm just glad my £15 wasn't wasted :LOL:

A bargain, would love to see pics

I hope the gentleman doesn't mind me filling up his thread :)

IMAG0208.jpg

It's all original, and all there by the look of it. I've given the rust a quick rub with T-cut, but I need something slightly more abrasive, as in one of the links above. It will be staying OG paint though, regardless of how it turns out, some call it 'character' :LOL:

I don't mind at all passatman!

I just won the auction for the RRA that the thread was started with, got if for £75 in the end! And a friend is picking it up for £15 so all in all not bad since he declined my offer of £110 off eBay lol!

Will post pics when I get it tomorrow/tuesday and in 2 weeks I'll start the restoration.

retro-rich":153ydiu0 said:
Nice one, a good price I reckon

I saw the listing for that one, was tempted myself :)

Look forward to seeing the pics

You can't have another one rich! Leave some for the rest of us lol.

So I got the bike, it's in much better condition than I thought! Literally mint, just minor surface rust nothing deep and a little polishing of the chrome and it'll be perfect. It had new tyres and pads put on it so it's ready to go.

One problem, I had to have the wheels taken off for it to get in the car.

I've put them on now when I got home but the back brake is getting stuck on the one side. They're Weinmann type 500's.

Here's a (really bad) photo - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13387317/New%20 ... to0064.jpg

I've tried moving the arm etc it just keeps going back. What could it be? Totally new with these old style brakes. Want to get it up and running to take a spin round the block tomorrow before I strip it and clean it up.

Cheers.

They're a bloody nuisance these calipers! You need to centre the caliper using a very small hex socket on the hex nut under the black plastic cover. Can't remember the size, but it is something like 5mm. There used to be an "inverse allen key" tool for the job. If you don't have the tool to hand, you can try the following:

loosen the (10mm) nut on the other end of the centre bolt that holds the brake caliper on to the frame a bit, so the caliper is loose. While it is loose, pull the brake levers so the pads are now on the rims (i.e. the brake is on). While holding it there, re-righten the nut. If you're lucky, the caliper will now be more or less centred on the rim...

Most decent calipers of the age are centred using a standard 13mm cone spanner, but not these... There are some earlier Weinmann calipers that I've yet to find a good way to centre.

Nick

ps, to get on the road in extremis, you can always take an adjustable spanner to the centre bolt. The black plastic cover slides off (with a little effort) revealing the hex end of the centre bolt. You can centre the brake with a small adjustable spanner on two of the flats. Note that I do not recommend this, as the steel is soft and it is very easy to round the hex off, removing your key to having a centred caliper...

Nammonk I owe you a virtual beer, I didn't have a inverse allen key but I did the second thing you suggested. Loosened the nut on the back, at one point when trying to tighten it fully it went over to the left. I figured out that you can loosen it or tighten it a little and it more or less adjusts it, fits perfect now when squeezing the brake.

Everything works on it! Chuffed, typical British weather for the rest of the week now probably though. Will take it for a spin when some sun comes out.

Cheers!

Back