Royce BB's - squeaky?

I'll chip in with the Royce BB on my quantum- sixteen years, not a cheep out of it. I too thought that they were meant to be teh blollox........

Have to point out aswell that both of my Royce BBs were bought second hand and one of them at least is very high mileage.

Sure you're not muddling them up with Zero and/or Hope WR? I had a Zero one BITD and it was the worst piece of MTB kit I ever bought.

Royce

I found they didn't like wet weather and the bearings had a habit of creping round in the cups and creaking, although I always found the tapers a dodgy fit on some cranksets and were always coming loose, think this was the source of the continuous creaking.

I guess this goes to show that whatever the product you will get good and bad reviews. On the whole though, looking at all the posts here I think we can say that Royce produce good quality BB's and have a well deserved good name. WR must have had a 'Friday afternoon' or 'Monday morning' BB. ;)

From memory I think the creaking was down to what cranks you chose to use,CNCed stuff like CBRs creaked.
I don't think you can question the craftsmanship of Royce though,more likely to be the crank tapers than the axles.
Did hear of snapping axles but thats just big/powerful riders using stuff that they should know better than to use ;)

Royce b/b

In the mid to late 90's i used to product test and race xc for Royce uk, I've never had any creaking and have used Cooks Bros RSR and E cranks,Plus Middleburn Rs2 with no problems. It is right that the cranks need to be fitted to the axle DRY and be tightened to 20ft lbs.,The fitting process is the key to making a creak free ride. I'm still using them today and still get factory backing

Latest posts

Back