Royal Mail and suspension units - A Warning

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
There is a massive discussion happening on the Singletrack forum which anyone who rides a full susser bike should know about.

In short it would appear that the Royal Mail can confiscate anything they deem to be dangerous. This includes any liquids, gasses, gas containers, the list is long and you need to look at RM's terms & conditions.

In the case of the guy on ST, he sent a rear suspension unit to a company for a service, when it didn't arrive he contacted RM who told him the item was dangerous and had been destroyed. This turned out to not be true, the items are not destroyed but palletised, sent to an auctioneer and sold. The money goes back to RM.

I thought it was worth dropping a note here about this, as I know a lot of people buy, sell and trade suspension parts, and I wouldn't want anyone to get caught like this.

firedfromthecircus":312gpuy5 said:
I think that is lifes way of telling people they should be riding rigid! :LOL:

I agree, but some poor deluded souls are still to work that one out.

I was posting some parts last week and for the first time ever was asked about this and shown the list of things you can't send.

I'm not sure if air shocks would be OK if you depressurised them.

It's a sad fact that the (logistics) world will never be the same as pre- 9/11. No uncertainties allowed or benefit of doubt will be given unfortunately.

OK, the rules haven't fundamentally changed since 9/11, not regarding Dangerous goods, or HAZCHEM as the yanks call them.

You can send them if depressurised, and a note accompanies them confirming this. Otherwise they are Class 2 dangerous goods. Pressurised gas has a risk of explosion. Royal Mail is now a private company, making a profit, not a service owned by us. They now check things to get you to pay more, that might have slipped through the net previously. No deodorant posted for Xmas either ;)

Hydraulic brakes would only really be at risk if the oil is corrosive, or a poison, although they often won't take liquids as a matter of course.

Tazio":21afao0f said:
I'm not sure if air shocks would be OK if you depressurised them.

Not according to the OP on the Singletrack thread, his shock was completely empty, but they still 'destroyed' it as a pressurised container.

Back