Roy Cottingham 1997 'Chronometro' Road Frame / Bike

petecul

Retro Newbie
Hi all

I have a wonderful Roy Cottingham frame that was built for me back in the late 80's (must've been one of the last frames he made before he died) She's a beautiful old girl, has done thousands of miles and is still an absolute joy to ride...but I just cannot justify keeping her any longer and am looking to sell-up and make some space in the shed!

The frame is a classic old-school steel race frame, Columbus SL main triangle and forks with KL stays, Campag ends, Cinelli BB shell.

I have no idea what sort of money something like this would fetch...

Is it better to sell the frame seperately or as a made-up bike? It is currrently set-up with some orginal deep-section Campag Shamal wheels which look ace but weigh a lot by modern standards. Beyond that its a bit of a mish-mash of other components...bits of Veloce, Athena and more modern Mirage. I have neither the time nor money to source & complete a full, proper 'retro' job on it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi - its 23" seat tube with horizontal top tube (also 23")
73 degree parallel angles

I dont have any photos that I can post at the moment but if you go to...

http://www.hetchins.org/cottingham.htm

...it looks very much like the one in the first few photos - except that it is that deep metallic red colour all over (without the grey) and the lug work is not quite so fancy.

I really have absolutely no idea what sort of price such a frame / bike would fetch

Hi, as per the guidance which I assume you have read this needs a price.

Thanks to those who offered advice

I've decided to try and sell the frame only at this time (incl stem and seatpost). I'm looking for £150 or nearest offer.

I'm based up in Scotland so probably factor in a further £15-or-so for postage

Let me know if you are interested

Many thanks

Peter

Re: I'm interested too.

Hi, I've got one of these from 1985 - it sounds exactly the same as yours but mine was silver until I restored it last year. I love mine, it's the third Roy Cottingham I've owned and my favourite bike of my collection.

I'm also interested if it's still available, will pm you. Thanks, Ian

Latest posts

Back