Rossin Concept MTB - Columbus Max OR Rebuild & Upgrad Thread

Okey dokey - brakes are now in, and so are the gears. It's shaping up very nicely, with only a few parts left to finish her really now.

I've been particularly pleased with how the Deore XT thumbshifters have paired up with the XTR rear mech and 8 speed cassette. Spent a good deal of fiddling with the cable tension and range adjustments on rear mech, and discovered that whilst she's in the stand, it feels like it's slightly too slack and almost needs to be overshifted to take her up a gear, however, when you're actually out riding her, the upshift is spot-on perfect. It's perfectly indexed across the entire 8-speed block and I was a little worried that I'd have to settle for friction - tis lovely!

There are a couple of things that need to be changed - At the moment, I've only got the original Deore XT seatpin, and have been searching for an XTR for yonks. Also, some total numpty sold me a "black" Answer ATAC stem, but when it arrived, it was blue. I was less than impressed. This has sadly now been removed and returned, and I've got a temporary silver to go in as a stop-gap.

Other than the seatpin and stem, she's pretty much there... oh, and yes, excess cable will be removed when everything's finished and working perfectly. It's always the last job I do when she's actually finished and good to go!

Attachments

• IMG_20150217_163712-1.jpg
    IMG_20150217_163712-1.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20150217_150832-1.jpg
    IMG_20150217_150832-1.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_20150217_150809-1.jpg
    IMG_20150217_150809-1.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 578
That's looking lovely although the Atac is a bit beefy for the bike IMHO. I'd prefer something a little more slender.

raidan73":hn29j187 said:
That's looking lovely although the Atac is a bit beefy for the bike IMHO. I'd prefer something a little more slender.

I know exactly what you mean Raidan - I went for the ATAC stem, purely so that it was a fully matching Answer set-up on the front, from the ATAC to the Hyperlites and the Hyper-ends.

Originally, I used to have a Control Stem when it was an XT bike, which can just about be seen in the one of the earlier posted pics - the only problem is that I need a stem with a noodle or a roller. I think the only stem I can think of that comes in slender like the Control Stem is a Salsa with a roller. They seem to be a little like trying to find rocking horse poo! And that's when you can find one that isn't at a silly jaunty upright angle...

Also - when I finally get my Syncros Powerlites sorted for a 1" steerer, it's my intention for them to end up on the Rossin - I suspect that the ATAC would look a good deal more appropriate when matched with the Powerlites, than the standard Columbus steel's....

Last few changes for now - all I can do until I get the last few bits that I need to complete her. I found a rather ratty black XTR seatpin knocking about in the garage, so this was slightly better than the XT. Changed to some M737 SPD's so that I can run around on her now.

I still need:

* Black Answer ATAC stem - 1" - 130mm reach - noodle
* Black XTR seatpin - 27.2mm

Any assistance from fellow forum readers to get the final two bits - greatly welcomed! I've also got a NOS XTR headset coming over from Kingroon - so this will cure my ISO/JIS headset cone woes - thanks Kingroon!

Attachments

• P2241106-1.jpg
    P2241106-1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 557
  • P2241098-1.jpg
    P2241098-1.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 544
  • P2241097-1.jpg
    P2241097-1.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 556
  • P2241096-1.jpg
    P2241096-1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 564
I know exactly what you mean Raidan - I went for the ATAC stem, purely so that it was a fully matching Answer set-up on the front, from the ATAC to the Hyperlites and the Hyper-ends.

Originally, I used to have a Control Stem when it was an XT bike, which can just about be seen in the one of the earlier posted pics - the only problem is that I need a stem with a noodle or a roller. I think the only stem I can think of that comes in slender like the Control Stem is a Salsa with a roller. They seem to be a little like trying to find rocking horse poo! And that's when you can find one that isn't at a silly jaunty upright angle...

Also - when I finally get my Syncros Powerlites sorted for a 1" steerer, it's my intention for them to end up on the Rossin - I suspect that the ATAC would look a good deal more appropriate when matched with the Powerlites, than the standard Columbus steel's....
Tioga t bone, Ritchey, Control Tech, Syncros and Odissey have brake cable hangers.

Back