Roof mount bike racks for retro bikes

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm going to center parcs with the family in a couple of weeks and I have finally got some roof bars for my car.

I'm looking to take a retro steed with me but want to make sure it's safe and secure on the roof of the car.

I've zero experience or knowledge in this area as I normally either ride locally or put a bike in the boot, but with all the luggage needed for a week away, a bike (well two) simply isn't going to fit.

I'm after recommendations for a good quality yet affordable roof mounted bike carrier that is going to secure one of my coveted old bikes safely and secure stop my focus estate. No idea if it makes a difference but the roof bars I've just bought are factory ford items, aero and fairly wide width wise.

Any suggestions on a good pair of roof mounted bike racks.

Also, how does one get a bike on the roof of a car? Sounds silly, but thought it worth asking.

Re:

I have Thule 532 as they were the later style of my old ones. They are about £40 to £50 off flea bay new, are lockable and easy to fit.
As for how to put the bike on, i grab the bike by the seat stay and fork leg and lift it on to the rail then roll it forward, lift the bar and then clamp it. once thats done its just a case of strapping the wheels.

Hope that helps.

For the money in my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Thule 591 as found on this link HERE
I've been using a pair of them for a few years on my V6 vectra estate and they stay put at speed, on corners, and when some numpty pulls out on you too :facepalm:

Lift the bar up and you lift the bike up to stand it in the channels of the rack, the arm has an adjustable 'claw' that you tighten by dialling the wheel at the bottom of the arm and it clamps the down tube, then you strap the wheels down front and rear, and it has a key lock to lock the adjuster wheel so it cant be undone in petrol stations and such!

Once you unlock it, press the release button and the 'claw' snaps open to let you retrieve the bike(s).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I prefer taking my front tire off for transport as it lets the fork clamp into the front tray skewer and puts the bike in a more stable and aerodynamic position for transport versus upright. For this reason I currently use Thule's 535 thru-axle tray. I have tried several (over the years with Thule being my favorite brand largely in part to their customer service and the 535 being my favorite tray design to date. You can't go wrong with Yakima either and they tend to be a bit more affordable without sacrificing quality IMO.

Equally or most important when you first begin using a roof rack is to remember that you have bikes up there and in your case, possibly irreplaceable bikes. With that along with all of the added distractions of a full car and in [holiday mode], don't drive into a car park, auto wash, under some back road bridges etc. It happens and has happened to the best of us. :facepalm: I keep a bright yellow "Bike on Roof" hang tag in my glove box to hang around the rear view as a constant reminder. You can buy them or make one up.

QF8owA.jpg

lzk3.jpg

Re:

Cheers. Going to need a full bike one as I'll have nowhere to store the removed wheels.

Will the Thule options fit a kids bike or would one be too small?

Re: Re:

ishaw":3epznz0v said:
Cheers. Going to need a full bike one as I'll have nowhere to store the removed wheels.

Will the Thule options fit a kids bike or would one be too small?

Definitely a trade off to fork mounts. I don't believe any of the trays mentioned will work with a child's bike but call Thule direct tomorrow. As mentioned, their CS is top shelf and they can guide you better on this than I. Cheers!

Re:

Cheers.

I've got a saris bones 3 bike boot rack but I'd need a light board wouldn't I?

I think I prefer the roof mount option but if the saris will work without a light board......

Re: Thule 591 - If you have down tube cables, its best to put something between the cables and the down tube, otherwise the cables will be clamped against the tube.

A good tip is Halfrauds Exodus range which I believe are made by Thule. Mine survived the missus' 650b being ripped off by the above mentioned car park barrier with just a small upward bend. :facepalm:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ra ... K0EALw_wcB
Luckily my Vit T was just low enough to get under. :)

Think I got 3 of mine 2nd hand from eBay too.

Have had up to 4 bikes on them, including a little 14" wheeler, a 20" wheeled Frog and up to my 700c road bike with fat gravel tyres, whilst driving rapidly :d

I would say a big 29er/plus/fatbike might struggle size wise as they only just fit the wheelbase length of the 650b'er with 2.3" schwalbes, but retro should be fine. The other downside is that the cam levers that lock them onto the brackets that fit the bars are a pig to lock down tight. Once locked down they stay in place though.

Re: Re:

ishaw":1tjvt1eb said:
Cheers.

I've got a saris bones 3 bike boot rack but I'd need a light board wouldn't I?

I think I prefer the roof mount option but if the saris will work without a light board......

Looking at the pics on google images the bones 3 do tend to obscure the lights.

You can get high rise boot racks that don't, I have one for when we are doing slim roof box + 2 bikes on top + 2 bikes on back, but that would probably defeat the object for you.

Back