Rocky Mountain Element 30 pick up.

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
I’ve been missing a nice full suspension xc bike from my current line up, a few different bikes have come and gone. I just sold my Marin B-17 and a Proflex 1000 and had in mind to build up a Mount Vision frame I’ve got as a kind of resto mod.
It then occurred to me that my budget for a decent set of forks and various other parts I might need may be better spent on a complete bike if I’m lucky.
Well I got lucky (I think..).
4D3680FF-5A9A-43E2-A80A-BD68B48C968A.jpeg
This super tidy, but in need of a service, RM popped up on gumtree about 40mins from my door. I couldn’t get in the car quick enough.. Older gent had owned from new and used it lightly as he more often used road bikes. Lovely guy and he even chucked in a few spares and dropped the price a smidge to allow for service items.
Plans are a strip, service, clean and set up and then use it, I might swap the sticky 3x9 Deore shifters for XT as I’ve got some in my spares. But otherwise use and gradually improve it.
I’ll keep the post updated as I go. :)

Little update, spent the morning giving this a thorough clean, polish and changed out the cassette for an XT 750 one which I had. New chain and swapped out the seatpost for a crank brothers cobalt 3 which matches the sweet Thompson stem it came with a bit better.
87291851-73DC-408D-9AA0-ACD03022BDA3.jpeg
Looking fresh now.
2E1BA1ED-965C-4155-86F3-8699AAD8D2CC.jpeg
Only had time for a quick few miles locally this afternoon but I’m stoked with this bike. I’m going to hold off upgrading much else until I’ve ridden it a bit more, after the tlc I’ve given it today it’s all working sweet so no pressing need to do more just yet.
It’s so nice when bikes like this turn up locally in such good condition, makes up for some of the junk I’ve brought home in the past.. 😂

I'm a hardtail guy, always have been. However, this thread is pushing me to reconsider, I love the look of this bike. It's one of the few full suspension bikes I would think of owning.

I'm a hardtail guy, always have been. However, this thread is pushing me to reconsider, I love the look of this bike. It's one of the few full suspension bikes I would think of owning.
I’m (broadly) with you on that, I have various hardtail and rigid bikes and they’re generally all I need for the riding I do. I’ve tried various full suspension bikes over the years, stumpjumpers/marins/Proflex.., but never really felt the benefit of the added bounce.
I keep looking as I like the idea of having a full suspension bike in my lineup, just for variation really. I found my garage was getting full of very similar bikes last year. I’ve since diversified with a 700c and 29er ( don’t hate.. ;) ).
I can’t really comment on how this bike rides long distances as yet, but I’ll keep you posted on that. But on how it’s engineered, how it looks and the quality of the thing I have nothing bad to say.
From the side it even looks like a traditional double triangle frame, well if you ignore the shock that is. Not too much of a transition for you as a strictly hardtail person! 👍

Update time!
Now with XT shifters, Selle Italia saddle and Hope wheels with summer tyres. I’ll keep the original wheels with knobblies on for winter use.
8C143E1A-685E-4767-9F5B-52013F544FDB.jpeg
I think I’ll add Fox forks (anyone got?) and an XT front mech, otherwise it’s pretty perfect in my eyes. 😍

Time for a long overdue update on this, of course it’s still in my possession - there’s not much within sensible budget that could replace it really.
I haven’t done miles and miles on it but the riding I have done has been super enjoyable. It feels like a good compromise between a modern and 90’s full suspension. A more upright riding position with wide(ish) bars and 100mm or so of travel is just perfect for me.
Hard to explain but it just feels ‘right’.
So much so that I thought I should treat it to a bit of an update, when a donor frameset popped up (very) cheap and local - I just had to use the parts on this:
IMG_3303.jpeg IMG_3304.jpeg IMG_3305.jpeg
So it’s now rocking M960 combined shifters, callipers and chainset. Also some Tora forks (a small upgrade over the MZ’s with adjustable rebound/damping and lockout too). The Hope pro 2’s are back on with new tyres, crank bros stamp 1’s and iodine saddle, also some profile carbon bars (30mm ish wider).
A bit of a winter refresh if you like, and the new parts have only improved it further - pretty much my ideal xc full suspension bike now. I was never sure about the looks of the XTR dual function units but I’m warming to them (it helps that they were insanely cheap!!) but you can’t fault their function, very crisp both braking and shifting.
Lovely.
I really must put some proper miles on this thing this year.

Back