Rock Shox Quadra 21R refresh

95pantera":3jxos3po said:
I twist my top cap hand knobs when they are out of the fork, and the discs that press against the elastomers move in circles, but dont seem to move up and down.

The innerds of the tensioner shouldn’t spin, only up and down. There’s a pair of lugs that locate into sliders, maybe they have snapped off or warn away. I’d try looking for a new preload cap(s). I have seen them on eBay recently. See image below of my tensioner, notice the small pins that locate through the tensioner body.

aQ2fZbn.jpg

95pantera":3jxos3po said:
oooooh! Beautiful! Please heal up quick and post a review, I've been considering purchasing a set of these. The stock ones i have work fine, but who knows how long they will last after 20+ years.

I’m pleased to say that I took my old Merlin out for a spin today with the wife. Because of my tendon issues (front of foot and extending up the shin), we decided to take an easy flat cycle trail that goes from Newton Abbot to Bovey Tracey in Devon. Although not strictly off road, the shocks performed very well and I had to load them up a bit more for a return journey. Overall I’d say I’m happy with them and they seem to be more responsive than what I can remember of them the last time I used the bike in anger, some 20 years ago.

wwhBdwv.jpg

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the info. I bought a pair of upgraded caps for a quadra5/21, thinking it would work for the 21r, but it does not. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a new set of caps. They are set all the way to maximum preload, so thats cool for now i guess, but eventually I would like a set of replacements. Looks like you had alot of fun, good stuff! I'm trying to get my wife into cycling too, she seems really interested, so we will see what happens.

Back