Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

I have just taken delivery of a pair of these forks.

IMG_1039 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Having stripped them, sort of, this is what I have now.

IMG_1042 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

The active damper feels ok, nice bit of resistance and a lovely squishy noise, so I think I'll leave it in. May not even take the other one out either. No need is there?

Just clean out the elastomer dust :roll:

At the top of the forks, there were foam ( dust? ) seals. Are these necessary, as I'll be using the fork boots anyway?
And the BIG question, where can I get hold of new elastomers? Or something else suitable from another fork. I have some Pace grease, for when I put them back together.

Help will be gratefully received, thank you

Mike

Re:

Take the dummy and damper out helps you clean the tubes from the elastomer stuff.
Get some springs.
May need a small spacer or bit of elastomer at the very top depending on the springs.

Dampers shouldn't really 'squish' as that means air in them. Best not to touch it though ;-).

See how bad the corrosion is on that station to the left and also that lower leg.

Re:

share a paddle buddy were in the same boat
i was given a pair of these by a mate, they are in near mint condition externally but inside there is nothing left only the dividers

had a mad idea the other day of using the modern type of wine bottle corks as elastomers

look a bloody lot like them and same diameter so just cut to fit

if it works remember where you heard it first ;)

Re:

You should keep the sponge rings. Not sure what was used bitd to lubricate them, but fox fluid or i think 5wt suspension oil is what is recommended on modern forks. Just soak them in some for a bit before fitting, helps keep the action smooth. I usually add some Judy butter inside the rubber seals, and on the bushings (lower ones tricky to get at, i use a socket and an extension bar but if you have better options, go for them.

Leave the damper alone, they are fragile at best and whilst you may hear some squishing, better that than nothing at all (if you have a metal bodied damper, you can take apart and refill with oil, but without removing it youll never know, and if it's a plastic one, you may regret removing it).

Springs work well as long as the damper does.

As mentioned, if you want to give the internals a proper clean, you'd be better removing the damper and dummy leg to get rid of the elastomer dust.

Enjoy.

Re:

Thanks for all the advice lads, much appreciated.

I did read Steve GTs thread before my initial post, here. What a tale of woe! Glad he got them rebuilt ok in the end.
One of the foam washers is toast, the other is pretty manky I think. I'll get some circlip pliers this week, so I can get the dampers out. I heard Kronos springs somewhere in Steve's thread, so will have a look for some (medium?) ones on ebay. I'm around 78kg, so hoping that will be the right choice.

Mike

Re:

Check eBay, there are a few type 3 springs (would need a spacer thingy between them, something i do need to print at some point) and later Hydrocoils or RST, you just need the right length.
I think these are 6" and a spacer, i could check.

1996 forks, 60mm travel by the looks of it?

Anyway, the foam rings are just foam ring and would sit under the boots. Not an absolute must.

Plenty and plenty of fork grease on all bushings, all moving parts (damper rod top whiteish plastic things are moving parts).
Plenty strong, under and in the seals.

If they are shot, I do have dust seals but they'll cost about £15 +P&P :-(. Best check how yours are first.

If you use these forks in the wet or mud, do regularly pull the lowers off and give them a check or let them dry out.
Water in the lowers is the biggest killer of these forks really judy forks.

Re:

Cheers mate,

Yes these are the 60mm ones.
I did see some Hydracoil springs on eBay. I'm guessing they're 28mm forks too?
Thankfully there was no water inside them. Dust seals are good. I always err on the side of caution when greasing stuff up. Id rather have excess ooze out, than risk not having enough. It's getting it down inside the lowers that may be tricky.
I'll try to get a stack of elastomers together, to check overall length, as well

Mike

Re:

Thinking of getting a pair of these for a new project.

What are they like compared to SIDs or Mag 21s?

Back