1997 Rock Shox Judy SL

LilRex100

Retro Newbie
Just finished rebuilding these 1997 Rock Shox Judy SLs using Specialty Retro Products springs and damper rebuild kit. Their videos were very helpful along with a 1997 Judy catalog I was able to find and print off the net. Now to get them on the 95 Gary Fisher Kaitai. Anyone else done this rebuild? IMG_6747.jpeg IMG_6740.jpeg IMG_6731.jpeg

If your damper leaks any oil after the service you might need to source and new shaft. There looks to be a lot of wear on it which would impact the seals ability to keep the oil in the tube.

If your damper leaks any oil after the service you might need to source and new shaft. There looks to be a lot of wear on it which would impact the seals ability to keep the oil in the tube.
Thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep an eye on it. So far so good. Everything seemed to seal up tight with the new seals without any leakage. It seems so much stiffer with the new SRP springs, The springs were a pretty tight fit without using any of their suppled extra spacers. Now that I know how to disassemble and reassemble them, I can open them up regularly to service every thing and check the damper.

I used that kit on my '96 SL rebuild, worked very well.
Good to hear! I used the blue springs which are a little stiff for my weight, but my son who is larger and heavier also rides the bike, so I wanted something that would also work for him.

Back