Roberts White Spider with xtr (and a dent)

This set just sold for £500
wow.JPG
It's lovely and has been expertly cleaned and polished, still, it's showing plenty of signs of wear, the replaced chainrings, the scuffed and scratched crank arms, the triggers on the brifters, notably there are no close ups of the rims, replacement brake pads etc all point to a groupset that has been well used, and that's no bad thing, it also looks well looked after and I hope the buyer is well pleased and that it goes on to perform for him for many years to come.

But if that group is worth £500 mine has to be worth what - £600? £700? Mine has the headset, original chainrings, original bottom bracket, jockey wheels, bolts, straddles and brake blocks and much much less damage or wear even before polishing.

And here we see the bike restorers dilemma, to use and enjoy or to sell for a quick profit. The moment I put this stuff onto a bike and go for a ride its value will start to fall, and I ride a lot, every day, sometimes 2 or 3 times depending on the weather and what I need to do. I'm not into bikes for looking at, I get it but it's not for me, I want to ride them as hard and as often as I am able.

And that is why I won't sell this group set, I'm a rider and this stuff is begging to be ridden, I'll likely never get another opportunity to experience this level of kit in this kind of condition again, nope, this is what I started out in this game hoping for, to build up to this, this is the prize, this is my end game and I won't sell it off for a quick buck.

Last pics, the wheels came up as well as the rest and much better than I thought they would.

P6050269.JPG P6050267.JPG P6050268.JPG P6050278.JPG

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Ride it, that's what I do with nice new old stuff.
Good to see.
A few hundreds quid is nowt to the pleasure of riding it.

You only end up with a decent frame with crap annoying parts on it, probably a bit worn or you buy modern which is about that same price as you got the bike for..

Seems like you got a good deal on the XTR groupset, and a frame included as a bonus.
I'd be inclined to keep & use the groupset on a build, and see how I feel about the frame and maybe sell that if it doesn't fit with your size or riding style.

Back