Roberts White Spider with xtr (and a dent)

How much did it go for ?
£450.
I'm gambling a little bit that the groupset and wheels just need a thorough clean and service, and that they are lowish mileage. I'm basing that off the admittedly low res pics that seem to show low wear on the chainrings, some anodizing still being on the wheel rims (which at least indicates they haven't been hollowed out) and the fact that it's been sat idle for 25 years. If that's the case I'll be very pleased and will consider it a win. The group is destined for my other Roberts project, another gamble that did work out.

As for the frame, well, looking at the pictures it's really hard to tell, it might be beyond help and I'm prepared for that outcome, the rust around the dent worries more than the dent itself, but I've seen much worse dents repaired and filled, so if the corrosion isn't too bad then I'll have a go at bringing it back.

I'll know more when I pick it up on Saturday, I'll strip it down, clean it up and post more pics.

£450.
I'm gambling a little bit that the groupset and wheels just need a thorough clean and service, and that they are lowish mileage. I'm basing that off the admittedly low res pics that seem to show low wear on the chainrings, some anodizing still being on the wheel rims (which at least indicates they haven't been hollowed out) and the fact that it's been sat idle for 25 years. If that's the case I'll be very pleased and will consider it a win. The group is destined for my other Roberts project, another gamble that did work out.

As for the frame, well, looking at the pictures it's really hard to tell, it might be beyond help and I'm prepared for that outcome, the rust around the dent worries more than the dent itself, but I've seen much worse dents repaired and filled, so if the corrosion isn't too bad then I'll have a go at bringing it back.

I'll know more when I pick it up on Saturday, I'll strip it down, clean it up and post more pics.
That XTR has hardly been worn down by the looks of things, even through the dirt which has probably kept the oxidisation off! I think the wheels, pedals and seat post too will polish up nicely, and you get a flexstem into the bargain. All top notch kit that will grace a much nicer frame I hope?

Like others, reckon you've got yourself a bit of a bargain there, regardless of frame outcome when you get it.

Looks very low milage.

Maybe the dent came on it's maiden voyage, and the rider was immediately over it!?

An interesting pick up that's for sure. got a text this morning saying he'd been called away to London on urgent business and wouldn't be able to meet me as arranged, but not to worry, the bike can still be collected, just phone when you reach the first set of iron gates...

So I arrived, I called and the gates opened, he told me to follow the drive and pass through the next set of gates, which opened as I approached and then I saw the fellas gaff, horses in the fields, outbuildings that could hold a swimming pool, a beautiful minty Mk2 Land Rover parked next to the stables and the main house itself was massive and beautiful. He told me to go through the small side gate next to the house and I'd see the bike, and there it was in his outdoor roofed gymnasium cum breakfast area.

Turns out it is a ladies bike because he bought it for his wife, she only rode a few times for a handful of summers around the estate, but once it got a puncture that was that, back to riding horses I guess, the dent was sustained when the bike fell from a wall rack in the garage, it's pretty much dead centre of the top tube and shallow, there's no bending of the frame at all so I think it's going to be just fine.

The first thing I checked when I got home was the seat post and it slid out effortlessly, still greased, here's how it looks after a quick wipe down.

post.jpg

I don't think this bike was ever ridden hard, not once, my feeling is that the group set is going to be in excellent shape once cleaned up and serviced.

It's an 18'' 92 model (920620), the bottle still had 25 year old water in it, luckily it's been stored inside and out of the sunlight so no algae, it cleaned up alright and is a nice little bonus item 👍
P6040217.JPG P6040220.JPG

The front forks are slightly curved and have mounting eyelets front and rear which makes me wonder if this a roughstuff and not a white spider. It's absolutely filthy, I'll clean it up over the next few days and post pics in my other Roberts thread, just to give an idea of how little real use it's had here's a crank arm and brake block.
P6040232.JPG

Even the computer still works :LOL:
cateye.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back