Riva , Columbus Air , Cambridge

Given the amount of work people put into bikes I'd say it would be a feasible choice to re-lace onto a decent clincher like Mavic G40. ;-)
Like so many of these type of questions , it'll come down to personal preference . Millions of people like jazz , they can't all be mad ! :)

Like so many of these type of questions , it'll come down to personal preference . Millions of people like jazz , they can't all be mad ! :)
I totally agree with the personal preference thing. I tried tubs many years ago. Even though I chose Wolber invulnerables, which whizzed along the road, I still found the experience of punctures too troublesome for me personally. I doubt millions of people love tubular tyres, but if someone does, then best of luck to them. When properly inflated they're a great experience. It's all part of the retro thing, we don't choose stuff because it's sensible or efficient, it's because we like it. I wasn't slating tubulars as an invalid choice, just that there is a choice to change rim. :)

I totally agree with the personal preference thing. I tried tubs many years ago. Even though I chose Wolber invulnerables, which whizzed along the road, I still found the experience of punctures too troublesome for me personally. I doubt millions of people love tubular tyres, but if someone does, then best of luck to them. When properly inflated they're a great experience. It's all part of the retro thing, we don't choose stuff because it's sensible or efficient, it's because we like it. I wasn't slating tubulars as an invalid choice, just that there is a choice to change rim. :)
I tend to agree , the issue becomes getting decent clincher rims at a price that's acceptable . Much before the mid 80's they weren't really a thing , quality clincher rims . Super Champion 58's ??
There's a reason retro tub rims are so much cheaper than their clincher equivalents .

Super champion 58 is a great rim, but not really a replacement (weight and apoearance) for the GP4s on the Riva. Mavic G40 is a similar rim in quality, age & appearance. Don't quote me on the age of the G40, I just think it makes a good replacement for GP4. I've done cycle camping on G40s without problem.

Super champion 58 is a great rim, but not really a replacement (weight and apoearance) for the GP4s on the Riva. Mavic G40 is a similar rim in quality, age & appearance. Don't quote me on the age of the G40, I just think it makes a good replacement for GP4. I've done cycle camping on G40s without problem.
They'd be one of the first racey ones , velobase has them imprecisely at early 80's to mid 80's .

If you can find Mavic Pro/ Ambrosio Excellight clincher 32/36h rims with 6/7 Speed hubs, that's a nice marriage...modern clincher lightweight rims, nice retro look, compatible with Super Record era etc with the comfort of today's wider clincher tyres. But they'll be pricey as someone bothered to hand build them. Good set of used tubular wheels still difficult to beat for value, but spiralling tubular tyre costs are becoming prohibitive. Discussed elsewhere, but tub tyre repairers all but gone now too.

Back