Riser bars and long stem

Imlach

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Been getting back on the back after a pretty long sedated period, and thought I'm enjoying the long trips on my 97 Rockhopper, with its long syncros stem and flat narrow bars, my back is not sharing the excitement. I'd quite like to keep the stem, but have been wondering if I could add some riser bars to give me a more relaxed, upright ride.. But I'm worried that the rather long stem and riser bars combination will look horrendous. I know most people combine shorter modern stems with riser bars, but I'm not interested in a shorter stem.

What is your opinion, riser bars on long stem, does it look silly?

Picture of bike as is attached.

Attachments

• 20210612_172901.jpg
    20210612_172901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
The aesthete in me says: Yes, they look silly, don't do it!

But the rational minded me says: Who cares? Do whatever feels best, so you can spend as much time on it as possible!

The aesthete in me says: Yes, they look silly, don't do it!

But the rational minded me says: Who cares? Do whatever feels best, so you can spend as much time on it as possible!
That's the issue, the rational part of my mind just isn't working these days, I personally love the aesthetic of the bike as it is, so I'd rather not spoil the clean look with some disturbing risers.

I'm dwelling on a better solution, which would be to buy a new p2 fork with a longer steerer and add a couple of spacers. Think that's what I'll have to do. I'll still be stretched out but it might just work, as its no more than an a couple of centimeters I need.

Thank you for the reply mate. And the compliment.

I suppose the other move, perhaps in addition to the spacers, which wouldn't change any of the aesthetics to the bike, would be to switch the Syncros out for another of the same model (or close) with more rise?

That plus maybe some tweaking with saddle position, or even another seatpost, might help some too.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
I don't care as long as the bike is good to ride.

I have short stem with riser bars and bar ends.
Also a bit of a stack so the bars are a bit higher.

With the long stem, your upper body will still lean forwards almost as much as it would with a straight bar. You still need to reach almost as far after all.
You may actually find it worse than a straight bar due to the different angle of your arms. I know I did. My Sbike had a 40mm riser bar on the original 130mm stem at some point, the straight one I use now makes the bike feel ... ermm ... less uncomfortable.

Thank you for all your replies lads. Food for thought. Will probably decide in a drunken haze to either get a fork with longer steerer, or get a syncros stem with a wee bit of rise. Alternatively I could prepay for a year or two of visiting physiotherapists once my back finally gives in.

I'll also play around with saddle position a bit in the weekend.

Back