RIP Eileen Sheridan record breaking pioneer.

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
Not sure where to put this thread or what to say…

Eileen Sheridan was an amazing woman and an amazing record breaking cyclist, passed away today we understand, a few months short of 100 years old.

My girlfriend got to be her in a short movie about her achievements and became good friends as part of doing that. It inspired her to then emulate her route from lands end to John o’groats alone.

Come on Eileen trailer:
https://fb.watch/iGsMjBci-0/

Image Result

Last edited:
If it wasn't for people like Eileen, we wouldn't do what we do.

People like her should be celebrated more than they are.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'd never heard of her until today.

I salute you Eileen, and thank you

Amazing lady, bit unfair about the disallowed record. Interesting reading through the wiki page
She was a small lady at 4ft 11in

Hercules Cycle and Motor Company signed her in 1951 for three years to break distance and place-to-place records.[7] These included in 1954, the 12-hour record where she covered 250 and a half miles and the 24-hour record in 446 and a half miles. She broke all 21 of the women's records by large margins and held all 21 W.R.R.A. records in 1955.

Five have yet to be beaten, including the London-Edinburgh record of 20h 11m 35s, set in 1954.[8] Her 1,000-mile record of 3 days and 1 hour stood for 48 years until it was broken in 2002 by Lynne Taylor.[9]

An amazing lady. RIP Eileen.

The book 'End to End' by Paul Jones has an excellent account of her record riding career and the author's conversations with her. Highly recommended.

Back