Rim Decal Removal

michael franks

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I need to get a couple of rim decals copied and so I need to remove said decals without destroying them in the process. One decal is vinyl and the other foil.
Any ideas? WD40? White spirit? Thanks.

Re:

Gentle heat to soften the glue, then I'd try to move the decal over the edge of the rim, sliding it off.

Re:

Oh well guys, the heat treatment worked very well on the foil decal but the vinyl one appears to be more stubborn and is still stuck firmly to the rim. Back to the drawing board. I wonder if I could steam it off...........

Re:

Half way. You could try gently sliding a Stanley blade under the vinyl one, trying not to destroy the decal or mark the rim.

Tar & Glue remover which will dissolve the glue. What's left of vinyl will slide off. There's a spray can version I used for getting Ritchey Vantage stickers off, can't remember what it was called but it was something generic like glue adhesive remover.

Re:

Thanks regan_ev. Yes, I think that's the way I need to go. Years back I had what may have been an Evo-Stik product called something like 'adhesive remover'. It was brilliant so if I can get a spray can of something similar I'll be well pleased.

Re: Re:

michael franks":3ij5c556 said:
Thanks regan_ev. Yes, I think that's the way I need to go. Years back I had what may have been an Evo-Stik product called something like 'adhesive remover'. It was brilliant so if I can get a spray can of something similar I'll be well pleased.
I hope you find something suitable and get the glue off. :mrgreen:

Acetone/Nail Varnish remover is worth trying if you have any in the household.
It will dissolve the adhesive under the decal.

Andy

Back