Rim cement

Morning all,

I plan to use tubs in the future and have looked on youtube etc for guidance - has anyone any useful links to show how the tape works?

Thanks,

Richard

Just thought I'd add my thoughts on this as I haven't any wheels with clincher rims, I ride only on tubs all year round.

I've used glue (Continental - not good and Tubasti - good) but didn't like the faffing about waiting for glue to go off, so started using Jantex tape.
It is dead easy and, with a bit of care and proper stretching of the tubs before you mount them, you get an excellent "fix".

I would qualify my experiences in saying that the tub you use will make it easier or harder to mount properly without rolling the tape edge away from the rim edge.

Continental tubs are a very tight fit, and as a result I really only use them (mostly Giro as it's cheap for an everyday tub rider) as spares for roadside changes. I never use tape at the roadside, I just inflate the tub on the clean rim and ride home, going slowly through corners.

If you use Schwalbe they are nicely stretchy and some of the best I've used, but generally I'm a Vittoria man - mostly Rally as they are cheap, and they need a good stretching on a rim for two weeks before fitting to avoid rolling the tape edge, as well as the old-fashioned stretch - hooking your foot into the tub and pulling as hard as you dare!

I've also used Advance Gem tape, the dark grey stuff, and have one roll left. It sticks a bit firmer than Jantex, but also makes changing a tub at roadside more difficult. I've ended up cutting a tub off in the cold and wet to replace it.

I have not yet used Tufo Extreme, having been told that it is so secure that the base tape will be left attached to the rim when you remove the tub. Not a good idea if you need a roadside change. However, next time I climb a mountain I think I will give Tufo, or Shellac or track glue, a go.

Reason being that the day I rode the three climbs on Mt Ventoux (35 degrees C on the day) the tubs "slipped" around the rim creating a "balloon" by the valve that rubbed on the underside of my Delta brakes and the brake bridge of the frame.
I got a bit concerned (you can read frightened in there!) descending on a tub that was rapidly wearing through, and actually abandoned the final descent and called up the "team car" (the excellent Craig at Veloventoux in Faucon) for a ride home.

Now, I did fix the front wheel problem by just turning it round, but I may not have had such a problem with a narrower tub. I used 23mm on the day to reduce low speed rolling resistance, and I was on Vittoria Rallys which aren't the best you can buy (Veloflex next time?!), but I was convinced that the tape had let me down in the heat of that day.

As a lad I always dreamt of riding on tubs, and now that I can afford the rubber I'll stick with it - I love the feeling that your wheels are just kissing the road as you speed along!
And contrary to popular opinion - especially Cycling Weekly - I don't find them difficult at all, a roadside change taking less time than searching a clincher tyre for the offending thorn before you can replace a tube.
And if they are good tubs with tread left, take them home as Peter Burgin does an excellent job of all repairs.

There is one final caveat. All tubs must be amber-wall and black tread, the all-black hosepipe or coloured tub does not do a real bike justice!

richie

I only have memories of using tubs back in my 80s racing days.

cement - clement, came in a tube and was red in colour. Set like concrete and you could never roll a tub off. In fact you could hardly get the tub off when flat. .

dunlop - in the tin with the brush. Good for brushing on a spare tub cos it remained tacky and would stick when you changed tyres out on the road. Not so good in hot weather cos it would start to melt and you could roll a tub.

tape - nice theory, but the tubs I used were a tight fit and you couldn't pull off the backing tape with the tub in situ.

Whilst I'll concede tubs rode better, and i would say the vittoria CX tub was probably the best bike tyre I ever used, I converted to clinchers as soon as the the mavic G40 hit the market cos of all the faff involved. I always seemed to make a mess of things with the sidewalls being far from clean.

Very easy to mount a tub with the tape .

Put the tape on your rim and mount the tube on the wheels . Insert a pen between the tube and the rim and start peeling the tape , moving the pen along . Takes a few minutes to mount both set .

As i said , only time the tub came undone was in very wet conditions .

Latest posts

Back