Rim about to crack?

Scratches....its even got a lump of metal gouged out at the top....stones run up it....don't panic captain mainwaring!

Scratches....its even got a lump of metal gouged out at the top....stones run up it....don't panic captain mainwaring!
Don't worry, a dose of antibiotics and a bit of ointment and it will clear right up. but you must not scratch it, or it will scar. :)

Araya Rim's of that age were one of the best on the market, I doubt they are cracks, unless the wall is really thin. Fire some digital callipers on the walls to measure the gauge and compare that with what was the factory specification.

I brought them as part of a 89 Fisher Procaliber second hand off someone I trust (but not on this forum). There are a few little chips here and there, but these look more than coincidental. I did hold the rims up to a powerful light when checking over to see if the crack had gone through.

That said, these were quite dirty with brake grot, I took the pics as soon as I noticed the issue.

I'm going to go out to the Garage to take something done anyways so I'll have another look.

They're Araya, can't see a model number but states the size (26 × 1.5) and they're on Deore hubs.
RIMS usually fail with the valve hole as it the weekest point.
Get the tyre off and see if it continues within the tyre channel
Worth a full inspection b4 your next ride

Back