Ridgeback 525SX - Any info?

James_G

Dirt Disciple
I volunteer at a local bicycle charity (Bike Project Surrey) and last week this Ridgeback came in.

20220218_161837.jpg

20220218_161844.jpg

20220218_161853.jpg

Does anybody know anything about it as I can't find much at all on the internet. The model is a 525SX, the groupset is a mix of Shimano STX and Alivio combined shifters and brake levers but I suspect that the latter weren't factory. Also the bars don't look original, but hard to tell and the frame is steel.

Appreciate any insight that might be out there. Reason for asking is that I quite fancy it for when I go out for gentle rides with the children and it would be nice to know a bit more about it.

Many thanks

I believe that it dates from 1995 or 96, not just because of the parts but because of the styling of the decals: the letters in the Ridgeback logo use the same font as the 1993 and 94 models but the letters do not overlap in the logo on the earlier models. I believe the overlapping letters started in 95/96. I have a Ridgeback 604GX frame, forks and bits (and in bits), and that had an STX/Alivio mix too, so I suspect that the group set is original on yours. I expect yours has a plain gauge cromo frame, too.

There is little information available about this era of Ridgeback, though, so take the above as nothing more than educated guesswork. There is little love for this era of Ridgeback, either; I thought I was the only one in the world.

Many thanks for this, I really appreciate it.

Over the years I've come to appreciate Ridgeback as a brand, although I've never had one. When I started volunteering back late last year one of the first bikes I did was Ridgeback 603GS as, with its 200GS groupset, it reminded me of my first mountain bike, a Raleigh Discovery. I see what you mean about the logo too, as the letters don't overlap here.

20211119_141856.jpg

I volunteer at a local bicycle charity (Bike Project Surrey) and last week this Ridgeback came in.

View attachment 605695

View attachment 605696

View attachment 605697

Does anybody know anything about it as I can't find much at all on the internet. The model is a 525SX, the groupset is a mix of Shimano STX and Alivio combined shifters and brake levers but I suspect that the latter weren't factory. Also the bars don't look original, but hard to tell and the frame is steel.

Appreciate any insight that might be out there. Reason for asking is that I quite fancy it for when I go out for gentle rides with the children and it would be nice to know a bit more about it.

Many thanks

20220604_142320.jpg 20220604_142435.jpg Hi James, I can confirm your ridgeback is all original just short of the full mud guards as I bought the same model new around 1997 ish and still in daily use now albeit a few worn out replacement part's, wheel set , front forks and bar grips. This bike I believe was the start of the hybrid style which I required at the time to cycle to work through country park, disused rail track and public road. I've enjoyed many miles on this bike and hope you can do the same. My only disappointment was the failure to find matching front forks

Back