Ricciardo making hay, whilst Rosberg and Hamilton squabble..

I am very hopeful Hamilton can overturn the deficit and become champ again.

He is intelligent, humorous and generally humble.

A multi millionaire by the time he was half my age, yet he still goes out there and risks it all for the love of his sport.

My imagination does not stretch to answering why he would not just walk away and live an easy life.

Yes, his background adds another dimension to what he has achieved, and by 25 he was already one of the most extraordinary achievers in history and a massive inspiration to millions.

He is still a relatively young man, having been largely wrapped in a bubble his entire adult life. Sometimes he is petulant and immature. Hard to imagine his life and how difficult it must be to remain grounded.

Just remember James Hunt, and how self destructive he was.

highlandsflyer":1okvsqxm said:
I am very hopeful Hamilton can overturn the deficit and become champ again.
It's not so much I wouldn't want him to win the championship, as I'd rather other people did.

I think if Rosberg, or even better, Ricciardo did, it would add something to the field of drivers, ongoing.

Say Rosberg did, though, and they both stayed at Merc, and the car was just as good next year... It's got all the heartache and angst of a teen vampire movie.

OK, maybe that was a step too far, but you get what I mean.

Talking of James Hunt et al, I remember watching an interview with his old team manager describing the years where drivers were getting killed every week and he mentioned how you could pick up a new perfectly fast driver without a fuss. I wonder how much has changed? I really can't see Hamilton's upbringing being that much different to any of the other top drivers - they all went karting etc, I don't think Ron Dennis was talent scouting in a Sainsbury's car park or the local bypass on a saturday night.

In the unlikely event Ricciardo wins it I would be delighted, he is a breath of fresh air and it would mortally wound Vettel.

I can't muster any such enthusiasm for Rosberg though, he is too calculated and conservative.

Lewis winning a second championship would add hugely to the field of multiple championship winning drivers, I think he could go on to win again and again once he gets the double.

If I could align the stars I would have Alonso win a couple more at least, to reflect just what a sensational driver he has been over the years. I don't see Ferrari turning things around in a couple of years though, so I think Alonso would be best advised to consider his position very carefully.

I think Vettel will be leaving Red Bull soon, and Newey will go to Ferrari at some point soon.

Wouldn't anyone in Newey's position want to scratch that itch at some point?

Would love to see Porsche and Alfa back in F1, and Jaguar.

Dreams...

highlandsflyer":1m0ifcqc said:
by 25 he was already one of the most extraordinary achievers in history and a massive inspiration to millions.
Eh? It's that sort of bs hyperbole that does him no favours.

Notwithstanding all the other achievers in sport and elsewhere (Murray springs to mind), Alonso won it twice by 25, and Vettel three times. Which puts Hamilton right where he should be, in the pack.

highlandsflyer":3msfyg5q said:
Just remember James Hunt, and how self destructive he was.

Comparing Hunt to Hamilton? Seriously? Will you be comparing Robert Plant to Justin Bieber next?

Back