Retrobike National MTB Rd 4: The Quantocks ~ AFTERMATH pg.3

Re: Retrobike National MTB Rd 4: The Quantock Hills ~ 12/07/14

Hope to get on the hills at some point tomorrow, so I'll say hello if I see you

Re:

So.... All set then? Not going to say anything about weather in case I jinx it. Is parking free or £ per day? Looking forward to this especially pub lunch! Early start for me but I will see you there unless my chariot expires on the 303.

Cheers - Chris.

Re:

Parking is free :) Wife is now grumbling about me going out tomorrow, due to a grizzling 8 month old, but I'll just have to incur her wrath!

Re:

Back from the Quantocks and what a cracking good ride it was too.

Just a shame more folk didn't join us.

Thanks Tom, for guiding us.

Thanks to the guys for putting up with my rather tardy hill climbing.

And thanks to the weather, which was just about perfect.

Beer and cake.... bad combination, glad I went for coffee instead. :mrgreen:

Re:

Whilst beer and crisps was spot on ;)

Thanks to those who made it, would have been nice to see more people, but we had a nice ride.

Here's some pics - though the weather seemed nicer than it looks in them!

Quantocks Ride 9 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 8 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 7 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 6 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 5 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 4 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 3 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 2 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Quantocks Ride 1 by silly-boy, on Flickr

Re:

As a Southerner, there is something about travelling West that feels right. I can't say why. Maybe a hangover from childhood holidays. Whatever, the sight of Stonehenge looming into view into the early morning light on the A303 is very special. It means I am travelling, and I am heading somewhere good.

Soon after leaving the main road, the lanes got narrower until the bracken was touching both sides of the car. Turning eventually into the car park, the picture above was the view that greeted me. I soon spotted a few likely fellow retro bikers - no need for a funny handshake - just look for a dodgy old bike on a roof rack or emerging from the back of a car. A few introductions, discussion of bikes, group sets, etc and our little group of six were on our way.

I have not been to the Quantocks before and it certainly made the perfect venue for a bit of old school off road riding. Tom our leader did an excellent job of taking us round a route which varied from fast fun dirt trails amongst the trees, down stone strewn tracks, splashing through crossings over narrow brooks, and on to moorland tracks with epic views. It really does have a little bit of everything. The climbs were as hard as you wanted to push it, with the stones making them tricky in places.
Some swooping single track took us to some steep gulley descents, one of which - The Chimney, had me off and mincing down on foot. I shall be returning for another look at that one. Another weight back drop led to some perfect swooping single track finally dropping us out onto a fire road. What goes down has to go back up again, and so we began our climb. All seemed long gradual ascents which could be taken at whatever pace suited, regrouping at the top. Tom casually cranking his way round the whole route on a rather splendid Indy Fab single speed.

Tim cleaning a climb on his Muddy Fox - it is as steep as it looks!

We soon reached our lunch stop at the Plough and due to my earlier decision to not resist breakfast part two on the way down, I decided that I didn't really need lunch. Further indecision between upholding the Retro bike tradition of sampling the local (Exmoor in this case) Ale and the temptation of homemade carrot cake saw me perhaps make the unwise move of combining the two. I think it will be consigned along with Chicken and chocolate curry and Duck a la Banana to experimental combinations that while interesting are not to be repeated.

Somebody fly tipped some old bikes.

A long steady climb greeted us after lunch. Trying to reawaken the legs while the Ying of the carrot cake fought it out with the Yang of the Exmoor ale all the way up was not good. The climb was rewarded with some terrific views of South Wales, Exmoor, Minehead and even a glimpse of Dartmoor in the distance.

A bright sunny day gradually turned overcast. As we made our way back you could see clouds building to deliver the rain forecast for the afternoon. Timing was perfect with the first signs of drizzle arriving just as I closed the car door to make my way home.
Thanks to Tom for organising the route and guiding us round and to everybody who attended - Neil, Jimbo, Swede and Tim, a nice friendly ride as usual. A really good introduction to the area and hopefully the Quantocks will be seen again on the national calendar next year, perhaps in an extended version and hopefully a few more will be tempted along. I give it the Uncle Monty seal of approval - a brand you can trust..... I wonder if the coffee cake would go with beer?

Re:

I had a great day yesterday.

Thanks for leading the way Tom; although I didn't see much of you as I was keeping up the rear! My face seems to have gone the same colour as my top pushing the bike up "the hill of shame" :facepalm: I'm blaming it on this unwanted passenger...

Attachments

• WTF, tick!.JPG
    WTF, tick!.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 663
Re:

Yuk! That's grim! Did you get all of it out OK? Might be an idea to give your GP a call Monday and see if they advise a test for Lyme's

Chris.

Re:

I did get out on the hills, but we didnt cross paths. I didnt do the ride proper, as I havent sorted a helmet yet, and didnt want to be 'that guy'

Back