Retro road - what am I missing?

Now, the reason why I bought it was that the Raleigh in the next picture would have cost similar to rebuild as it needed a lot of parts replacing.

Yes but rebuilding and getting it just right for yourself with your choice of components is half the fun ! :D

chromsing.jpg

The History Man":5ha7b3au said:
legrandefromage":5ha7b3au said:
Retro road is a gentlemanly way of wandering around the countryside. They can go off road too. Parts are still cheap and are just as easy to play around with.

Carradice on the back, thermos, cake, map, very civilised. I love it.

You forgot the #1 essential item Kendal Mint Cake & #2 Saddle bag support :LOL:

legrandefromage":12t1t2y3 said:
dyna-ti":12t1t2y3 said:
I find it interesting how Carbon frames makers are now all going "Aero" as the very fat and stiff Carbon tubes present a fair amount of resistance to the air, compared to a skinny steel framed racer.

I would find that article interesting in that frames today, especially the high end road variety, would have been tested for aerodynamics, whereas the skinny steel probably never has ?.

Aero has been around many many moons young man

1981 steel 'aero'

36186076.4ebab856.640.jpg
Back in the day of this machine it was found the "NUT" holding the handlebars was many times less efficient aero wise than the bike its self After going through phases of drilling components so that they resembled tea strainers, Squashing tubes to various shapes & all manner of mods fancy clothing & Pee pot hats the so called knowledgeable ones came up with the only way to make a bike really aero efficient was to get rid of the bod peddling it, so things went back to more or less as they were with advances in technology introduced Must have been good for trade in the "drilium" days as the # of DNF's at TT's due to failed cranks, seat posts, brake levers,& calipers, handlebars, stems, etc. was quite high as was the gravel rash due to being slung down the road when something vital failed. Ah the good old 70's & 80's. As an aside I had in around 1983a French D Salmon 24" front wheel Lo Pro with aero foil tubing that had be tested in a a wind tunnel & was found more aero to have the down tube a s per an aeroplane wing but the seat tube trailing edge forward. all this without a rider

Re:

Got one! A lovely 1994 Dawes Super Galaxy in metallic purple :D

My Dad collected it for me and reckons it is mint condition. One owner from new, Dad tells me if is silky smooth on the road and the drivetrain is virtually silent. Just needs consumables replacing after 22 years.

Photos soon, but it is very similar to this one, but a tad smaller: viewtopic.php?t=112320

SP

Back