Retro racing thread

colin959 said:
I wasn't saying Overend rode for Yeti just saying he was my favorite racer. Didn't some of the team Raleigh Ti frames get made by X-Lite?

Yes, I was joking about Ned. You would have had a great time in that race in Elba. Ned started deadly last and got first at the end. Terrible race, 50 km with at least 1200 mt elevation gain, technical climbs and downhills, not the fast stuff they do today.
About Raleigh and x-lite, I dunno, I just remember Barrie Clarke with that beautiful fork by Xlite and I thought someone might have known something about it!

Mike Kluge. I like the way he rode with number 13.
The number sign on his bar upside down for superstition. :)

my favorite rider has to be John Tomac, what a guy :D Thought you like to see a few pics, all from the Grundig at Plymouth in 1993. :D

Attachments

• david baker.jpg
    david baker.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,912
  • overend.jpg
    overend.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,912
  • finishline.jpg
    finishline.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,912
a few more, :D

Attachments

• caroline1.jpg
    caroline1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 1,909
  • barrie clarke.jpg
    barrie clarke.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,909
  • susan dematti.jpg
    susan dematti.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,909
  • pace team.jpg
    pace team.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,910
Brilliant pictures - brings back memories. Thanks.
Are those pictures from 92?

Please can we have the story about Caroline Alexander?

great pics from the Grundig :D

Fave racers were Tim Gould in the early days. Just blew everyone away up the hills. Awe inspiring.

Tomac as a leg end. He was the man for sure

Caroline cos she was just great :D

Honestly though used to much prefer racing than following the elite riders too closely from mags.

Please can we have the story about Caroline Alexander?

c'mon, we're all waiting for this story now! I remember living up in the Lakes in the early nineties hoping I'd bump into her one day (she lived up there somewhere, not sure exactly where - Barrow?)...never did.

There was a GT ad with a couple in bed in the back of a van and I have always wondered if the guy was David Baker cos he looked like him - does anyone know?

In France from around '96 and for a few years we had the "Tour de France vtt" a week-long stage race which was heralded as the toughest race around. The first year they had a woman class, but that wasn't renewed, probably as it was too tough. Gunn-Rita was already winning, just like she is more than ten years later.

The funniest guy was "Mini-Mig" Martinez on his Sunn with rigid forks, v-brake levers and cantis (he was so light he didn't need that much braking force). In interviews he seemed like a bit of a simple-Simon (no offence Simon), sometimes they had a mini-camera on their stem that filmed the riders who commented on the course Martinez went OTB once on a downhill whilst leading.

The rider I admired most was Frischi (still do!).

Back