Retro friendly bike shops

Given I ride retro's then my shop is by default. I hate seeing an good old frame going to waste. They all need to restored and most of all they need to be riden.

I like some modern developments but as one customer is finding out some of these developments are expensive when they go wrong.

I think its a shame that shimano are rummered to be dropping prioduction of XT/XTR 9 speed kit some time soon. Damm shame.

My local bike shop, BikeBase in Southend on Sea have been very good in my experience.

They recently fitted a headset to my GT Tempest, and did a very good job, logos straight, bike returned in perfect condition, the guy to speak to there is Colin.

Re: Nirvana

treacle":2lxvttsy said:
Good to know about Nirvana
Great little shop!
I used to buy all my stuff there, and Simon built the best wheels I've ever had - 12 year of riding, racing and touring, and never needed even a spoke tweak!.
I now live further away, but Jackie was still very helpful when I needed Race Face BB berings and hope axles.
There's a bakers over the road, som a visit there first works wonders.
Beyond in Cranleigh have drawers full of stuff that might be useful, and a shocking stock control system that can turn up diamonds.
East Street cycles in Farnham mainly pump out Trek but Gary , the owner, loves steel, and some of the staff get Retro.

If you feel the need to get more Retro, then Liphook Cycles is your destination. They don't "get" Retro; they just are...

Re: Nirvana

suburbanreuben":1kwpoekj said:
treacle":1kwpoekj said:
Good to know about Nirvana
Great little shop!
I used to buy all my stuff there, and Simon built the best wheels I've ever had - 12 year of riding, racing and touring, and never needed even a spoke tweak!.
I now live further away, but Jackie was still very helpful when I needed Race Face BB berings and hope axles.
There's a bakers over the road, som a visit there first works wonders.
Beyond in Cranleigh have drawers full of stuff that might be useful, and a shocking stock control system that can turn up diamonds.
East Street cycles in Farnham mainly pump out Trek but Gary , the owner, loves steel, and some of the staff get Retro.

If you feel the need to get more Retro, then Liphook Cycles is your destination. They don't "get" Retro; they just are...

Genius post and most useful and insightful!!! Many thanks

My LBS is Velo-M in Stone Staffordshire. Very freindly and knowledgable staff, an early 90s Marin is even the daily rider of one member of staff.

Excellent wheel building skills at reasonable prices as well.

http://velo-m.co.uk/

On another note maybe we could have a sticky for Good/Freindly bike shops listed by County at the top of a page somewhere. :D

Back