Is bike shop and customer service an oxymoron?

BlackCat

BoTM Winner
Fat Chance Fan
To my delight, i discovered a local bike shop less than 15 minutes walk from me last week - should say, I live in London - were nothing is 15 mins from anything. Don’t know how I missed it before, except that it’s in a slightly separate neighbourhood that I hadn’t had cause to visit in the past.

Anyway. Like most of us, I try to do the majority of my own work on a bike - however there are some things I cannot do, and truing wheels is one of them. As a tester, I threw in a set of wheels last week for a true, and I got the hubs serviced at the same time. Cost £60, took a couple of days and the job was a decent one. Test passed!

When picking the wheels up I decided to book in my Bonty to have bb threads chased, it having been freshly repainted some 6 months ago but evidently not having been properly protected in places during the spray. Booked her in for Monday for a same day 3pm pick up, and was at the shop waiting for doors open that morning.

Had a chit chat to one of the staff as we waited for the guy with the keys to show. He had a bit of understanding of old road bikes, but clearly wasn’t a retro MTB guy, which is fine. In we go. I explain what it was booked in for at the weekend and what needs doing. Fresh professional paint job but oversprayed, chase threads, please.

So he takes the bike from me and immediately parks it in the middle of a large display rack of steel spanners! I wince as they clatter and ping of the frame. “Don’t worry mate - your frame’s fine. No damage”.

Off I go, confidence rattled. Back at 3pm, as arranged, having taken off work. The same guy is sitting at the front desk, texting, workshop is empty. No customers.

“Oh. Sorry mate. Been a crazy day. Can you come back tomorrow? Hopefully done by then”

No thanks, mate. I’ll just take my bike and go elsewhere.

Now I know the above situation isn’t the end of the world - but it got me thinking. Nearly every recent bike shop experience I have had has been disappointing - from a bad job being done on a bike, surly and unpleasant staff etc. They couldn’t care less about the bike or about an ongoing relationship with me as a customer (one that clearly has multiple old bikes).

I suspect that if I rolled a vintage Colnago into a hipster filled bike den in East London that the bike would be properly treated.. buuuut I don’t collect road bikes and I don’t live East.

Has anyone had good recent experiences (particularly in the south east) of an LBS - better yet, one that actually has a bit of an interest in retro mountain bikes?

Those hipsters are getting into 26 inch retro mountain bikes in a big way to make practical urban bikes.

Big slick tyres, BMX handlebars and stem and sometimes welding disc mounts on. Great urban bikes.

The only retro mountain bikes I see being ridden round East London are genuinely used as cheap transport by people that have no interest in bikes.

A postwoman in my neighbourhood rides a nickel P7 with Q21Rs.. but as transport, not as a hobby!

I’ve used Herne Hill Cycles in the past … where Brixton C said ‘new frame’ when I asked for rear re-track on steel, Herne Hill said ‘yes…re track, no problem…’ good guys.

Whereabouts are you? Pre-pandemic I used Chelmer Cycles if I needed anything doing - and they were really good. Lots of high end kit in there, they changed hands though around 2019 and I'm not sure if they've kept the same standards (or even survived the pandemic).

Such a shame that the LBS on my local highstreet aren't any good. Lots of shiny lovely stuff, and their road bias has slowly crept into MTB's but I refuse to use them after a friend went in for a new square taper BB for his commuter (just needed a boggo replacement popping in) and got mugged off for an external BB and whole new chainset (£100+) which then played merry hell with the rest of his drivetrain and incurred more cost. Cowboys.

Sometimes bike shop staff just have a bad day, BlackCat. Maybe you got lucky/unlucky.

I'm sure our resident bike shop owner will be along soon to share tales of customers.

I rarely use bike shops anymore. My local apparently no longer stocks any basic spares like spokes etc as they are all held in a central workshop 20 miles away. In fairness, they were good at telling me later that afternoon that even their workshop didn't have my wheel's particular size. I got on amazon and ordered 32 for a tenner next day delivery...

In some ways, it's fair enough. Me spending a quid or two here on there on bearings, spokes etc ain't going to pay the rent - and I'm unlikely to get my next bike/spares etc from them because prices are a lot cheaper online/they don't do secondhand parts or bikes. Essentially, I'm not their target market anymore. I was back in the 90s when practically of my spare cash went on the latest components, new wheel builds etc.

The last time I needed something doing that I couldn't do myself, I Googled for a mobile bike mechanic and found a good one. He won't do London but it might be worth searching for someone local to you. Near us, the independent bike shops have by and large gone, and what remains will only do a limited range of things.

Funnily enough, though, and despite all the negativity they get, our local Halfords is good, but that's due to one guy who really knows his stuff. I'm just lucky that he works there.

I’m near Greenwich, so Chelmers is a hike! Have found another shop that I will give a try. I do have a couple of options but they are a drive away. Defeats the purpose of an LBS!

I take your point on buying a few incidentals, Greencat.. but I had also already discussed them replacing my worn out LTS bushings with a painfully tracked down NOS set, so hopefully they could have envisaged a reasonable stream of new business. Plus two sets of wheels needing built, come to think of it.

Oh well.

If I thought there was anything other than guaranteed penury at the end of it or we had more of a scene on this side of town, I would genuinely consider taking out a local unit for a year, hiring a mechanic and opening something retro focused. Hipster roadie shops survive on expensive coffees and heavily marked up vintage Italian frames. Maybe a retro MTB focused shop could wash its face in London. Hmmm.

Back