Retro fork dilemma

Bo'sun

Retro Newbie
Good morning,

I have a Specialized S Works M5 hardtail with PACE RC36 EVOIII forks. The forks are getting towards the end of their useful working life and I want to replace them.

My dilemma is finding an equivalent quality fork that will fit with a 11/8" parallel threadless steerer, 26" wheel, 50-75mm travel, ISO mount disc and skewer axle.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Can the Paces not be serviced? I have just fitted some RC36 pro class II to my bike in perfect working order....

Alternatives would be something like some MZ bomber Z2? You'll struggle to find decent 26inch forks new, especially with < 100mm travel...

Yes they can be serviced, and PACE seem to have parts. I've had them serviced several times by PACE, but they don't hold air for very long. They've had a new crown and stanchion assembly as wear/scratches were considered to be a cause of leakage. I've replaced the top seal, but with little effect. I'm going to try the soapy water trick to see If I can find the source of air leakage.

If you can find a set of Pro Class IIs, they are oil/coil with no air - I quite like mine, but hard to find...

You'll struggle to find decent 26inch forks new, especially with < 100mm travel...
Just because the spec sheet lists certain numbers, doesn't mean the forks can't be adjusted beyond those. I've shortened 2011 RS Rebas to 60mm with no issues. I only had to increase the air pressure to compensate for the loss of travel.
If the forks use spacers to limit travel and the rod that those spacers are on has a constant diameter, you can just keep adding spacers and shorten a 120mm all the way down to 10mm if you want. You just have to know the internals. If you find a model you like, do a search on how to adjust the travel and examine the photos/video carefully. That should give you enough info.

If @Bo'sun would decide to go for modern forks, the main issue would be to find a good fork with IS mounts. Most modern ones I come across have Post mounts.
The 2nd challenge is finding a mechanic who's willing to do this. Some may be worried about liability, even though just adding an extra spacer really isn't going to make the forks collapse or explode.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Just finished the soapy water trick. Around the damping adjuster, around the stanchion seal, around the slider bond and around the Schrader valve. I'll be b******d if I can find a leak. 60psi lasts about 2 hours.

S-works M5? I have a Stump Jumper M5, that is not retro, so you can go for even a modern Reba 26". I have a modern 2018 or 19 Reba and it is much better than that Pace. They have change a lot, I have ride a 2006, 20012 and now 2018 or 19 Reba and no doubt, it is quite good and will fit your M5. As you can see, even in 2021 you can find a new My 21 fork for your 26. Rock Shox do and probably more companies https://www.sram.com/en/search?t=reba

Here a link with one available and a discount over the price:

Last edited:
As said above, many of the dual air rock shox are adjustable in the travel dept simply by adding spacers to reduce the travel.

I'd imagine your frame would be fine with 80mm travel forks, 50-75mm travel forks ate early 90s travel, your m5 is newer than that right?

I've plenty of experience fettling modern forks to fit older frames, 80mm has been fine on them, some 100mm. I'm running some 32mm 'modern' rs sids on my 93 team gt rts, its fine, no need to drop to anything lower.

The biggest challenge is finding a modern ish fork with v mounts (assuming you need v brakes on your frame). I have a set of rs reba world cups I'm not going to use again since selling my gt sts, if they are of interest to you, let me know. Set at 80mm travel but can be reduced further if you feel the need.

Thanks madjh & ishaw,

Sounds like the Rockshock REBA 26 are worth looking at. No issue with V brakes, I'm running HOPE Mono Mini's (180F & 160R). My S Works M5 is a 2003 model. Retro enough for me.

If 2003 version, 80mm travel will be fine, ot was probably designed to take 80 or 100mm I'd guess. If you are running discs then you have a world of forks as options as not limited to v brakes.

Back