Retro feel on a modern hard tail.

OrangeRetro":3dmjdclc said:
brocklanders023":3dmjdclc said:
Neon orange with maxel rear and hope m4's
:shock:
Erm, that'll be the hardcore end of the Five range then! Make your mind up! :LOL:

Five all the way for me, which one have you currently got?

Mine is a 2007, the last year before they started slackening the head angle. I've just put 150mm forks on it and its taken it up a notch. Great bike, I'll keep it till it breaks. In honesty I'd rather keep it then get the new one at the moment!

I have a 2008 Prestige (120mm) for the retro/hardtail feel but if you really want a retro feel on a modern hardtail buy a stumpjumper. Flat bars - check, low slung - check, stretched out - check.

What kind of riding do you actually do?

Not too hardcore! Bloke at Stif said the M4's are the best upgrade for the 5 as the stock Hope's are slowers not stoppers :? Would go for the Maxel as the only real issue I've had with mine is a slightly twisty swing arm. I'm not the lightest chap in the world :oops:

My current one is a 2006 Pro Hope with 2007 Fox Floats so still has the steeper angles. That's another worry, I noticed the new ones are way slacker. I do all kinds of riding but like to mix it up a bit. Same trails on different bikes etc.

It's beavis' fault anyway. Really like the look of his Marin Ti now he's got new forks etc and want something like my self. I guess I'll just have to do some more testing on what I've got to see where I go. :roll:

I have M4's on my five and they are good, but I also have X2's on my prestige which work absolutely fine. I got the M4's just in case I ever go to the Alps but if you don't ever plan on doing this stick with the X2's!

I've never had swing arm flex but I can understand if you have, the maxel is definitely a good option.

Unless you are a whippet on the up hills the slacker angles shouldn't bother you too much. I recently ran 160mm Fox Van 36's on mine due to a float failure, and although it made the climbs a bit sluggish, the descents were a hoot. The 150mm I have on now probably slacken the angles to a similar level as the new frame, maybe? Either way it now rides superbly.

If you are unsure, stick some 150mm's on your 2006 frame and give it a go. Save your money for some purple ano! ;)

Spoke to Stif today and they said you can have 24hr demo's for £30 so that could be the way to go. Not sure if I should try an 18" or 20"? Asked the chap his thoughts on the R8 and Pace 104 and he recommended the R8. Like the look of these... almost retro ;)

Still have my eye on a lovely bit of retro kit but it could go before I can raise the cash so that could make my mind up.

I have a Salsa alacarte and its nice, built for a 100mm fork.

Sounds to me as though you're not really giving the modern bikes a fair go. If the Orange 5 is two sizes too big, then obviously it's going to make you wish for something nippier. And the Ragley you tried is a very heavy-duty frame with extremely slack angles, designed for a different kind of riding from the Clockwork that you're hankering after.

Maybe you want a Cotic Soul with a 100mm Fox. That seems to fit your bill nicely enough. You very rarely hear anybody say they had a Cotic Soul but they didn't like it. Or maybe an R8, but I don't know much about the R8 spec. I don't think a Ragley is any guide to how either of those would suit you.

Another few that you might consider -

Charge Duster
Sanderson Life (or Breath).

And what I would get if I was in the market for another steel hardtail ;) Chromag Sakura. Light (4.2lbs) but all the bike that most of us need.

Isn't this the sort of riding that most of us do? - just ragging a bike around some nice trails.
Who needs more than a nice, agile hardtail for that?

Nice (better than mine :oops: ) manuals at around 2:57 too....

Charge Duster is a good call, especially the new 2011 bikes as they are really, really skinny and are going to cause quite a stir when they hit the market!

Rocky Mountain Blizzard is another nice retro feeling hardtail....I would say that though as I've got one :D

I saw all the new Charges at the launch a few weeks back - unbelievably retro. The skinniest Tange Prestige tubes you've ever seen and beautiful neon paintwork. Not cheap, but not too expensive either.

Duster Hi by Bracknell Cycles, on Flickr

Duster Hi purple by Bracknell Cycles, on Flickr
Could be the best of both worlds; Retrobikes are cool and great to look at, but real-world riding is another matter sometimes.

Back