Retro bikes versus New bikes. (Have bikes really improved?)

GrahamJohnWallace

Retrobike Rider
Cleland Fan
Feedback
View
Retro bikes versus New bikes. (After decades of New Improved Designs, how have mountain bikes really improved)?

In a moment of madness, I decided to take my 1983 Cleland' Aventura along for a local 30 years plus, Sunday ride at Aspley Heath, near Woburn Sands and Milton Keynes. I was told I had to wear a helmet because the ride would include fast technical downhills.

At the start of the ride I was not so sure this was a good idea. All the other riders had exotic modern bikes, mostly hardtail, and in a variety of modern steel, aluminium and titanium. And all fitted with suspension forks and disk brakes. My bike weighed in at 36lbs with each of its prehistoric 650b tyres weighing 3lbs each. The lightest modern weighed only 22lbs.

Not wanting to hold anyone up, I followed on at the rear. Which proved to be useful as the chain jammed on the first climb, a jockey wheel was worn so the chain came off it from time to time. Half way up I was exhausted from catching up. This wasn't a good start. However I managed to overtake a back marker and arrived at the top a few bikes from the back. For the rest of the ride I alternated from riding in the middle of the field to falling back on the hills where the 36lbs, took its toll. I was able to keep up on the narrow, windy and some times technical singletrack. And to my surprise, even on the fast downhill sections where I expected my lack of front suspension to make more of a difference. It was only the hills where I was overtaken.

The Cleland was designed for muddy, soft slippy conditions and uses 650b Finnish' snow tyres, run at 15lbs/square inch, and enclosed hub brakes. But this was dry and traction was good. That was until we hit some soft sand which caused havoc with the modern bikes. There was much cursing and swearing as they repeatedly lost control. Some gave up and walked this section. I however, couldn't see what the fuss was about, and rode past them through the deeper sand in the middle of the track. They weren't that interested in my bike, but after that they became interested in its tyres, and how low I was able to run them.

We arrived at a very steep and sandy technical decent. Clelands are good at these because of the downhill style high handle bars and its extremely progressive brakes. So I went down no problem. A few of the modern riders thought better of it and walked down. After that the phrase "If Graham can ride it on his shopping bike then why can't you"developed.

All in all an enjoyable but tiring ride.

So how have the modern bikes improved over the 27 years since My Cleland was built?

Well, they have got a lot lighter. Suspension has improved handling but not necessarily efficiency. The frame' step-over heights are lower and the tubes fatter and stronger. The derailleur systems change more precisely and quietly.

However there were three areas where things had not improved:
*Brakes: The Clelands' French moped' Hub brakes were far more progressive and controllable than the hydraulic disks that tended to lock out when it wasn't helpful.

*Mud protection. Though the Clelands' numerous guards and flaps were not needed on this ride the modern bikes have not been engineered with mud in mind.

*Low pressure tyres. Modern tyres do not appear to be able to be run almost flat with the large footprint needed to cope with very soft ground.

Attachments

• 1983 Cleland Aventura.jpg
    1983 Cleland Aventura.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,732
you have to bear in mind that 'modern' is marketing over function

you 'must' have full suspension

you 'must' have discs

you 'must' have carbon

etc etc.

As you've shown yourself, its not always the case. But remember, its the rider too, not the bike.

Graham,
Nice to hear your thoughts on this, I have been thinking the same since my new P7 arrived, its a great bike but is it better than the bikes I used to ride???
Probably the answer to both our questions is "Its not the bike its the rider", we have improved... The bikes have too but its the rider that makes the difference.
New tech comes and goes... Canti's V-Barkes, Hydraulic Magura's to disks.
No sus to Flex-stems to basic forks to those pedal powered motorbikes that are now called mountain bikes.
15 speed all the way to the new 2x10 rigs....
What I think is it doesnt matter what you ride as long as you have a blast... You can throw money at the latest kit or just ride, the latter gets my vote ;)
Regards
Rob

Personal experience?

I ride faster up hills, down hills and over technical terrain on my modern bikes than I do on my retro bikes.

At Mayhem last year I lapped faster on a modern bike in the dark during lap 3 than I did on a retro bike in broad daylight on laps 1 and 2.

As its just me riding the bikes, I'm not comparing myself to the guys I ride with so the 'rider ability/fitness' thing is taken out of the equation, leaving me with the conclusion that modern bikes are faster and more technically able than old ones.

As for the suspension/disc brake thing. I own modern bikes that are rigid and have 'V' brakes and modern bikes with discs and suspension. Surprise surprise, I ride faster on the bike with discs and suspension.

So yes, modern bikes are better. If you're riding stuff that your peers aren't, its because you're a better rider than they are. Fact is that on a modern bike that weighed 10lbs less, you'd be kicking their asses up the hills aswell :)

'Better' is subjective though isn't it. I'm faster on my modern bikes, but do I have more fun? Possibly not.

oh come on , I love retrobikes but you cannot compare old to new ... there is no way ANYONE who has ridden both on real trails can stand up and say that older bikes have the same performance. having fun/how you feel is a different thing altogether.

Ask all the super quick boys on here what they ride when performance counts?? ;)

Russell":3m6wa4o7 said:
Personal experience?

I ride faster up hills, down hills and over technical terrain on my modern bikes than I do on my retro bikes.

At Mayhem last year I lapped faster on a modern bike in the dark during lap 3 than I did on a retro bike in broad daylight on laps 1 and 2.

As its just me riding the bikes, I'm not comparing myself to the guys I ride with so the 'rider ability/fitness' thing is taken out of the equation, leaving me with the conclusion that modern bikes are faster and more technically able than old ones.

As for the suspension/disc brake thing. I own modern bikes that are rigid and have 'V' brakes and modern bikes with discs and suspension. Surprise surprise, I ride faster on the bike with discs and suspension.

So yes, modern bikes are better. If you're riding stuff that your peers aren't, its because you're a better rider than they are. Fact is that on a modern bike that weighed 10lbs less, you'd be kicking their asses up the hills aswell :)

'Better' is subjective though isn't it. I'm faster on my modern bikes, but do I have more fun? Possibly not.

The trails have got easier thats all..... :LOL: All those 'yoof' flattening things out.

I've owned and ridden Foes, Airborne and Wheeler from the last 6 ~ 9 years and they have gone and the 'retro' has stayed because its done the job better for me.

I just cant get on with the geometry on new stuff.

daj":18748b8f said:
oh come on , I love retrobikes but you cannot compare old to new ... there is no way ANYONE who has ridden both on real trails can stand up and say that older bikes have the same performance. having fun/how you feel is a different thing altogether.

Ask all the super quick boys on here what they ride when performance counts?? ;)

I know what you mean.

Do you not think that modern bikes are almost 'overcomplicated'??
Look at something like the B17. Plush as, just not as much travel as a modern rig, but faaaaar less to go wrong (being single pivot) Especially as modern riders seem to know diddly about basic maintainence.

ummmmmmmmmmm

Not sure I'd want to go back to my first "MTB". A heavy and hard ridin' lump made from solid steel bars in teh early 90's.
Those canti brakes never did work,or was it that I couldn't set them up.
I thought I'd arrived when i bought a gel saddle for it :(

Yes, I had fun and did many a happy mile, but to be fair I didn't know any better.Would i want to use it now? er.......no.

My first real MTB was the Hardrock Ultra ( never did know what was ultra about it) was a revolution by comparison. Blasting around the New Forest. No suspension and still the wrong side of 30lbs.

The main difference about newer stuff is that I'm a lot fitter than I was 20 years ago and some of that is because i want to ride the newer stuff.

Actually, I would say XC race courses are more challenging now than 10 years ago - reflecting the capabilities of modern bikes.

The hub brakes on the Cleland are no doubt effective, but the contribute a lot to the bikes weight (even more when it is in motion). If you are locking up disc brakes on a modern bike you are not using them properly.

As for tire pressures; tubeless tires allow you to run super-low pressures and reduce rolling resistance and rotational weight.

It's not all fad and fashion, I love riding my older bikes, but I can ROCK a trail on my 5" travel, dual-sus, 8 inch disc braked trail bike. there might not be as much skill involved, but hey - I'll take a quick dirty shot of speed induced adrenaline over a well earned sense of achievement any day!

Back