Rescue Pioneer

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
It is a constant puzzle to me that back in the late 80's and early 90's when I was in the first flush of MTB enthusiasm that I knew of Roberts, Yates, Lloyd, Fuquay and others, but despite only living (and riding) a few miles outside Bristol I don't recall ever hearing of Overbury's. If I had, the chances are that when decided to build the best bike I could afford (30's, married, kids, mortgage), with a British theme running through it, instead of the Zaskar LE frame that I ordered from the GT shop that used to be at the bottom of Park St, I would have headed just a few miles North and ordered a Pioneer instead.

When I did become aware of Overbury's I liked what I saw but was on another course, one that led to the other frame builders I have already mentioned, but then more recently a hankering has been upon me and seeing others, on both these pages and through right minded people on facebook, finding treasures in need of rescue has left me quietly jealous.

And then the other day it all changed; a heads up in the ebay thread alerted me to a Pioneer in a sorry state, collection only, Cornwall. I thought I had a chance to win it until business meant I would be far from any computer when the sale ended. Seeing the price was ridiculously low given the bike and given the charity the funds would benefit (Cornwall Air Ambulance), I put a speculative bid on before going to work, more in a hope of getting the current bidders to up their game than in any real attempt to win.... but I did.. win that is and what I picked up was a basically sound, but much 'rested' bike.

It has either been under a tarp on in a damp garage for a fair old while. It has obviously had worn out parts replaced over the years and much of that will just be binned, the rear mech is a keeper though and probably the starting point of the build.

I had hoped to save the original finish, but the stripping down process so far has shown that at every possibly point where rust can creep under the paint, it has done so.

Almost everything has come off pretty easily, but we are now down to the seat post, stem and drive side BB. Time for some plus gas and patience.

A few pictures of it straight out of the bike bag and prior to me getting the tools out.
DSC_0068_zpsse0mmgdq.jpg

DSC_0061_zpsoetqoxci.jpg

DSC_0070_zps25uw9j5u.jpg

DSC_0067_zpsmhrvo5gn.jpg

DSC_0063_zpse9rfn2ni.jpg

Re:

I think it will boil down to the frame and forks, rear Shimano XT mech (one of my favourites) and possibly the front and back mudguards depending how I choose to build up the bike.

The History Man":2muruu0f said:
Well worth £54. Checking in.

Did you get a ride in the helicopter?
Even given the condition, it was a bargain.

No helicopter ride as I think they had just finished polishing it.

Re:

I think one of the things that put perspective buyers off was the size as the frame was listed as 20". I looked at the proportions in the original listings and fancied it wasn't that big, and it isn't.

I have just measured the frame and it is 19.5 " from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube and 17" C to C. Top tube is 22" C to C.

I think I shall pop in to see the guys at Argos, as looking at the frame this evening, I really don't think there is any chance of saving the original finish. On the plus side, they seem to have a green which is a pretty fair match to the existing colour.

Re:

Very exciting, nice it's all stripped down without drama

I'd suggest you do a mock up build and try it, as they have a high bottom bracket - you will definitely be aware of the extra height

I'm sure it will fit you fine, however

For some reason, the three of theses I hAve had, have always had a very tight stem interface, so get the mussels out!

Re:

If you recall Nick, I am just over 6'1" tall... I'm always aware of extra height. :mrgreen:

I am expecting a very different ride to my other bikes, it should make an interesting contrast.

Latest posts

Back