Replacement pads for LX BR-M565 cartridges

frkl

Retro Guru
I just ordered some Deore LX BR-M560 (edit, oops, 565!) cantilever brakes, and am hoping to find new replacement pads for the stock cartridges. I know that Kool Stop theoretically makes them, but they seem rare and hard to get. They seem to havee a 60mm long track and are a bit under 64mm in total length.

I have found some NOS on eBay but don't really want to replace old pads with old pads.

I am thinking that the Kool Stop Duras are 5 mm too short, but might still work. Or the Kool Stop V brake pads could be shortened...

Has anyone figured something out?

Last edited:
I wasn't aware M560 had the cartridge type set up, the ones I once had look exactly like this

I have a vague recollection of swapping to the cartridge type on my M737 canti brakes and I think that involved using road sized pads

something like this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-b...lder-cantilever-brake-blocks-triple-compound/

It wasn't the cartridge type for BR-M560, they arrived with BR-M565, but of course BR-M560 can use the cartridge type brake shoes.
Is it the silver brake pad holder you have, and are you looking to replace the pads because they are worn or just looking for new/different?
I have a few NOS sets of the inserts - but can't recall which models they were designed for, I know they cover XT BR-M737 and the later XTR BR-M910. I'll check.

I wasn't aware M560 had the cartridge type set up, the ones I once had look exactly like this

I have a vague recollection of swapping to the cartridge type on my M737 canti brakes and I think that involved using road sized pads

something like this https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-b...lder-cantilever-brake-blocks-triple-compound/

Oops, yes, they are M565. Changed the thread title to fix this.

Here is a picture:

Screenshot from 2022-03-17 11-08-07.png

I haven't received the brakes yet, but from this picture the pads are certainly unusable.

It wasn't the cartridge type for BR-M560, they arrived with BR-M565, but of course BR-M560 can use the cartridge type brake shoes.
Is it the silver brake pad holder you have, and are you looking to replace the pads because they are worn or just looking for new/different?
I have a few NOS sets of the inserts - but can't recall which models they were designed for, I know they cover XT BR-M737 and the later XTR BR-M910. I'll check.

Please don't dig too deeply! I would like to try to source them in Germany/EU if at all possible, just because of shipping and customs costs.

Might be worth trying Bikester

Despite the .co.uk address I think they are based in Germany

Might be worth trying Bikester

Despite the .co.uk address I think they are based in Germany
Thanks, I will have a look. The German storefront is fahrrad.de, but yes, same company!

IIRC the M737 cartridges/pads were longer than the M565 ones.
The ones for M565 would also fit the STX RC cartridges. I can'i get any pics until the weekend.

IIRC the M737 cartridges/pads were longer than the M565 ones.
The ones for M565 would also fit the STX RC cartridges. I can'i get any pics until the weekend.
Yes, they are the same as the STX RC ones, just under 64mm.

If memory serves, the V cartridges are about 72, and moderm Shimano road cartridges for the dura type inserts are 55ish. So right in the middle.

I’ve got quite a few pairs all needing replacement pads. Don’t know if this helps, heres a pic. The stx rc ones appear to have a length of 63mm though I guess M65 refers to sizing aswell as the product code
image.jpg

Back