Replacement chainrings for Ultegra 6600

moonlite

Kona Fan
I'm looking for new 130 bcd chainrings for my Ultegra 6600-equipped bike and can't find many Shimano versions out there -- at an affordable price, anyway.

There seem to be various after-market options, though, but I can't find much information on what's good. Does anyone know if Stronglight, for example, are a decent replacement for Shimano?

Any advice gratefully received.

I have used both TA and Stronglight chainrings on a Shimano crank (130BCD, like yours), and both are good alternatives to Shimano rings.
The TA rings are a bit more expensive, but I find that they come across as better quality overall; however the Stronglight rings are more than decent.
The only 'negative' aspect about them is that the shifts are not as good as you get with genuine Shimano rings; this is understandable, as the Shimano rings are designed to be paired with specific ring sizes, and have strategically placed pins to help the chain to mover from one ring to another; 53/39 52/42 etc; so for example if you used a 42T inner with a 52T outer designed to go with, say, a 39T instead, the shift won't be good as the shift pins will be in the wrong place. On Stronglight rings, there don't appear to be any pins at all; with the TA rings there are pins, but overall the shifts are below the 'crispness' you would get from Shimano rings. I think this is due to both TA and Stronglight making their chainrings as single items, leaving it up to the user to pair them up as they see fit.
To counteract this, it is probably advisable to go for rings that are closer together. I have just set up my bike with TA 53/42 rings, which shifts better than I got when I used the 39T inner with the 53T outer.
However as Shimano don't make these rings anymore, like myself you don't really have much choice unfortunately; so suffice to say the TA and Stronglight rings are a good choice overall.

I have used both TA and Stronglight chainrings on a Shimano crank (130BCD, like yours), and both are good alternatives to Shimano rings.
The TA rings are a bit more expensive, but I find that they come across as better quality overall; however the Stronglight rings are more than decent.
The only 'negative' aspect about them is that the shifts are not as good as you get with genuine Shimano rings; this is understandable, as the Shimano rings are designed to be paired with specific ring sizes, and have strategically placed pins to help the chain to mover from one ring to another; 53/39 52/42 etc; so for example if you used a 42T inner with a 52T outer designed to go with, say, a 39T instead, the shift won't be good as the shift pins will be in the wrong place. On Stronglight rings, there don't appear to be any pins at all; with the TA rings there are pins, but overall the shifts are below the 'crispness' you would get from Shimano rings. I think this is due to both TA and Stronglight making their chainrings as single items, leaving it up to the user to pair them up as they see fit.
To counteract this, it is probably advisable to go for rings that are closer together. I have just set up my bike with TA 53/42 rings, which shifts better than I got when I used the 39T inner with the 53T outer.
However as Shimano don't make these rings anymore, like myself you don't really have much choice unfortunately; so suffice to say the TA and Stronglight rings are a good choice overall.
Thanks for that comprehensive answer! Much appreciated.

I have since located a few NOS Shimano versions but the prices are eye-popping, so it looks as if Stronglight offers the best balance between quality and price.

I'm sure the more up-to-date standards are superior to earlier technology, but it sure is annoying to find yet another piece of kit has become obsolete!

I've had similar problems finding suitable triple 130 bcd rings. As mentioned, stronglight rings seem to come without pins these days, I made the mistake of buying some before spotting it. I think that the rise of the compact double has led to manufacturers cutting costs by removing the pins on what would be the middle ring on a triple crank. I was lucky, I sourced a NOS tiagra crankset and used the rings as it was black ones I was trying to source.

Back