Chainring questions

The rings will be fine, i rarely use originals and my weapon of choice on 7 /8 speed setups is 9 speed TA zephyr/ zelito rings, with 8 speed chains. Stronglight will be no problem.

Just bear in mind what marc two tone points out...

The gaps may well alter as the rings are machined differently, but, easily fixed with chainring spacers.

Sjs do packs off all sizes from 0.6mm upwards.

The rings will be fine, i rarely use originals and my weapon of choice on 7 /8 speed setups is 9 speed TA zephyr/ zelito rings, with 8 speed chains. Stronglight will be no problem.

Just bear in mind what marc two tone points out...

The gaps may well alter as the rings are machined differently, but, easily fixed with chainring spacers.

Sjs do packs off all sizes from 0.6mm upwards.

I'm using a friction thumb shifter, so will it matter to me if the ring is spaced a mm or two in one direction or the other?

it really depends on what chain width you are using

I've mixed up chainrings for years and only ever had the chain slip between the chainrings once on a very old road chainset that really wasnt intended to run with a ten spd chain

thats the same width as 6 and 7spd so you shouldnt have any problems but you may want to space rings out to stop the chain from rubbing on the other rings

also you will have to choose your front mech carefully as again the chain will rub depending on what speed the mech was intended for.

the rear mech will clatter a bit too if its 9spd

but you can use a 9spd chain on 7/8spd systems and they do run a bit smoother

thats the same width as 6 and 7spd so you shouldnt have any problems but you may want to space rings out to stop the chain from rubbing on the other rings

also you will have to choose your front mech carefully as again the chain will rub depending on what speed the mech was intended for.

the rear mech will clatter a bit too if its 9spd

but you can use a 9spd chain on 7/8spd systems and they do run a bit smoother
Thanks for the advice. My rear mech and cassette are both 7 speed. I'll be sure to measure the distance between the chainrings before and after swapping out the middle one, and if I have any issues then get hold of the spacers you mentioned 👍🏽

Back