Repairing a saddle!

Danthefestaman

Dirt Disciple
I see there is a thread in the restoration hints about repairing seats but I'm not sure what to do with the saddle I have. In general it is in very good condition and the logos are very good. The only thing is a tiny hole and scuff on one corner. Is there a more sympathetic way to repair this? I was thinking more like a leather filler and touch up and possibly boot polish. I might not use the bike with this saddle but want it to make it original again. It's for a 90 Fire mountain. Cheers in advance IMG_20220206_074500.jpg IMG_20220206_074513.jpg

Inject a dobble ( technical term) of black silicone? Then just wipe back the surface.

Ive had some success with small holes that way.

Hum maybe, I've got loads of sump sealant at work. Might work if it dries hard. Seems a shame to do a full refurb to a nice saddle!

Well the seat repair thread shows you how to fill and repair a hole, so not sure what alternative you are seeking?

I’ve had some success trimming a tiny part of the covering material from the excess on the underside of the saddle. Then trim it to slightly under the hole size, glue it on, then fill the remaining part once dry. I’m not great at detail work but has worked for me. To be honest your saddle already looks better than most of my good ones, I’d be tempted just to use a dab of leather paint.

That tiny hole is the perfect application for leather filler. I´ve been using this for years, but I´m sure you´ll have similar products in the UK:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers that's what I was wondering if there is an actual filler, especially if it's coloured to suit that I can fill the hole with then shine the saddle up with something. Il search around and see what I can get.

I use the “Heavy filler” from these guys;

Ps don’t use boot polish unless you want a black arse

Last edited:
Black Sho Goo. Put a small hole in tape and fill that. Black Sho Goo is hard to find. There are probably other similar products that are easier to find.

Latest posts

Back