Repack Schwinn Klunker

It depends where you are riding. Going uphill is a no-no. Big gears, a flippy floppy front end and its weight make it rather unpleasant. On the flat its OK- quite comfortable as long as the trail is quite smooth and flowing. Bottom bracket is quite low so pedal strikes canbe an issue. Downhill its brilliant- stable and the rotational weight of thise wheels (14lbs rear and 11lbs front) act like flywheels and help keep it going. Brakes are piss poor though so you have to ride with big commitment. The slack head, long wheelbase and low BB all help to keep you out of too much trouble if you decide to go for it.

Major22":36f8fs37 said:
Dr S":36f8fs37 said:
Brakes are piss poor

Did you have to repack them? ;)

No. The brakes are that poor I don't tend to bother using them. Plus Yorkshire on a windy day is much cooler than Norcal. They did smell hot on one long descent and the mud was smoking at the bottom but I don't think the grease burnt up.
Must try harder!

Proper good job there sir. a level above my atempt i fear.

Oh you should get Tam_shadow to put that Euro Klunker page up on Klunkers.net that he has been thretenign to do for ages. yous would defo feature.

looking great Si, brave man for taking 52lbs down rocky slopes though :LOL:

you look like you have saved some weight on the grips mind ;)

Stunning bike Si, still can't believe the weight especially the front end. Green with gold sparkles of envy :) One day I'll get one.

It is a heavy old bastard.

I'm looking for a DX frame now as I have enough parts to build a real early skiptooth one speed bomber. Going for a rough patina on the next one so i can ride without fear of marking the lovely paint on this one.

Back