Removing the headset crown race

WD Pro":31hfygoz said:
• Wood isn't the best / most fool proof way of fitting cups into a frame :-(

WD :D

I meant as a drift for bashing the crown race off,not for fitting the cups.For that id use the correct tool - a headset fitting tool ;)

Ok this morning I took WD PRO's idea and cut two pieces of pipe. Mine cosmetically is'nt as nice as WD's but bah it done the job lovely two blows with the mallet level and nicely seated.
When i have a bit of time i will make a proper diy one like WD PRO's unless WD has a how to on it already

Big Thanks to WD PRO for his insight

Marc

Glad it helped :D

No how to guide sorry, just a couple of bits of pipe glued together and choped to length :D

i can attest to WD methods. i have a similar cup press and crown race installer tool (think he provided the materials for me gratis :) )

regarding those 'bearing separators' there are some bearing separator and puller kits for not much more - could these do the trick of pulling it off altogether - or does the internal wedge on the separators provide enough lift to loosen the race off anyway??

see link here for separator and puller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gear-Hub-Bear ... 25732b262d

looks like this when set up:

pro-qul-2-pc-bearing-splitter-separator-puller-set-new-1371-p.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The park removal tool is a modified / bike specific version of the above.

They do work well but a lightweight (i.e. thin) race with knife like edges (i.e. XTR) will crack easily when pulled - dont ask me how I know ... :LOL:

Not the easiest spare part to find either ... :LOL:

ps : the plumbing tube wasnt my idea - robbed off something I read on here :D

dyna-ti":dfmnb83g said:
WD Pro":dfmnb83g said:
• Wood isn't the best / most fool proof way of fitting cups into a frame :-(

I meant as a drift for bashing the crown race off,not for fitting the cups.For that id use the correct tool - a headset fitting tool ;)

Hi dude, just seem your comment - my comment wasnt particuallry directed at you ;)

Trust me, I am an engineer ... ;) :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":2kidpp6k said:
Overlooking the obvious...
...once you've got the damn thing off (screwdriver method myself) cut a slot in it with a Junior hacksaw and turn it into a split crownrace; then you'll never have any further removal woes, no matter how many times you change it ;)

This advice is at best incomplete. I think that's being very kind.

This seems to be a very big talking point i want to say thanks you for all comments.
Like i said before i just never had to do this before and yes ok without the right tools ya stumped, but with some very simple pieces there are diy alternatives and not giving into these people who demand high prices for bits of kit when technically there so easy to construct and then clag there name to and charge an extra 20 quid on top

Thanks to all that commented on this
And i will at some point do some kind of diy for this If you can tinker with bikes these type of diy's easy as pie

Thanks to WD PRO once again

TOP BANANA

I use a piece of pushfit (it's thicker and won't shatter like solvent weld) waste pipe to fit crown races, works very well. From memory it's 40mm but not sure.

Back