Removing Paint from a Rim

kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was considering buying some rims which are painted (not anodised) by the manufacturer.

I don't like the colour, so any suggestions what would be the easiest method to remove it? Or should I not bother with the hassle?

If the rims are painted, not anodised. When you remove the paint won’t you be forever polishing them? Bare alloy never stays shiny for long. Don’t the rims come in another finish/colour?

I don't know, so I'm hoping for some advice on that. I don't need them to be especially shiny, but I don't want them too prone to corrosion.

The rims may have originally come in more than one colour - I haven't found much information about them - but the chances of me finding them in another colour are very slim. There are some similarly priced and better colour rims I could use as an alternative, but I don't like them as much.

Do the rims have eyelets? Are they just rims, or are they built wheels? If they are just rims without eyelets it would be easy to strip the paint and change it to a colour you like. Slightly more hassle involved if you need to strip fully built wheels and mask off eyelets. I always associate bare dull alloy rims (the grey look) with cheap low end wheels/bikes. Painted or anodised is associated with higher end wheels/bikes.

They are NOS and no eyelets, so it should be easy enough. They are 6063 T6 alloy, which apparently has very good corrosion resistance.

The build they are destined for is very much undecided as yet, but it might have a quite industrial/raw look, so they may fit in well unfinished. Although the plan is to lace them to some expensive modern hubs.

I have had these rims sitting around for awhile and even calculated what spokes I need, but still not built the wheels.

Rims - Batavus by Rodi.JPG

Any recommendations for a good paint stripper to use?

Back